Tips for installing Halcyon P Valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on installing the Halcyon P Valve before I commence the installation process?

I am installing one onto my shell suit. Balanced model.

?????

I would assume that you have seen THIS and THIS from the EE site. It would seem to me, after reading these instructions, that the most critical part is finding an appropriate punch. Their recommendation, if you lack a proper punch, is to use a spent shell casing of the appropriate size.

I am considering installing a valve in the future myself. I would be interested to know what other people have used and how well it worked.

crab once bubbled...
I would assume that you have seen THIS and THIS from the EE site. It would seem to me, after reading these instructions, that the most critical part is finding an appropriate punch. Their recommendation, if you lack a proper punch, is to use a spent shell casing of the appropriate size.

I am considering installing a valve in the future myself. I would be interested to know what other people have used and how well it worked.

I installed a hacyon p-valve on my Bare ATR HD.I tried using a spent pistol shell casing to punch the hole in the suit.It didnt even come close to working.I bent three shells and didnt even faze my suit so i used a soldering iron with great results.The other alternative would to use a proper punch.

Remember to make the hole slightly undersize and stretch the opening over the threads.Make sure all surfaces are clean and to rough the surfaces with sandpaper before cleaning. :D

Your next big obstacle to overcome will be peeing underwater while wearing your drysuit.Enjoy!!:)

After reading the installion tips from EE, it makes me glads that I spent the extra $30 bucks to have Dan's install it for me.=-)

I tried using a spent pistol shell casing to punch the hole in the suit.It didnt even come close to working.I bent three shells and didnt even faze my suit so i used a soldering iron with great results.The other alternative would to use a proper punch.

I was pretty skeptical myself of how effective a shell casing would be at punching through the cordura outer layer of my suit. When the time comes I will start with a soldering iron.

Thanks.

and it didn't work. I had a punch I got to use to make plugs out of copper to block the burst disk and used that. Worked great.

One tip, get some crushed neoprene or 1/8" neoprene and cut a disk the same size as the washer. Glue this to the suit as an extra washer. It gives the system something to "bite" into. Tip compliments of George Irvine several years ago.

Dave D

I've always used a 3/8 steel punch... backed with a wood block. The punch is sharpened and works well on CF200 and trilaminate.

However a .357 casing would work as well... if it were sharpened with a file around the mouth.

But... if you like to play with fire:
Hold the shell casing with pliers and heat it with a propane torch... then use it to burn the hole in the suit.

Put a new primer in before whacking the casing with the hammer. Only takes one smack and the edges will be sealed and fray proof.

Ok...Geez where is your spirit of Adventure..Didn't anyone tell you Scuba was a dangerous sport?

Dectek once bubbled...
Put a new primer in before whacking the casing with the hammer. Only takes one smack and the edges will be sealed and fray proof.
Sounds suspiciously like how my grandfather lost an eye back in the 50's...

Back
Top Bottom