Tips for portable 'rinse bucket' that could be packed in luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would go for heavy duty trash bags with handels, test first to make sure they have no holes and either bungee of a short length of rope to tie the handels up high to keep the water in.
Using trash bags you can limit the amount of fresh water you need, useful in some locations.

Sandra and I have used these for years now...they are great for keeping the camera housing in water so salt crystals can't form....and on the boat, it keeps your camera out of the big rinse tank with 7 other cameras that could be scratching your lens, etc...and the thick insulated padding of these coolers has even protected my Canon 5 d in Aquatica housing, from an uncoordinated diver that fell on top of my camera and Polar Cooler when he stepped on his own fin and fell walking down the aisle...

48 Pack | Polar Bear Coolers
PB486-1c.jpg Mine is camo, like my wetsuit, Sandra's is black.

I bring plastic trash bags, and when I arrive I find a cardboard box that the bag fits.

When we don't have a tub, we just put everything in the shower and let it run awhile. Not possible on a boat but in a hotel room or condo it's an option.
my husband leaves his video set-up in the shower for quite awhile.
We've been to some diving destinations with a hose outside for rinsing.
I usually do a second rinse/soak when we get home.

One thing worth mentioning...just the soak is NOT really enough for a big housing....Sandra has been using the Sea & Sea housing for her Canon 5D Mark II...and dives 2 to 3 times per week..or more...for many years now...

The Sea& Sea was NOT getting the salt and deposits cleaned out well enough when Sandra only let the camera sit in the rinse water....This came out 2 years ago at yearly maintenance by Reef Photo ( who are A.W.E.S.O.M.E. by the way)....It was determined, that on getting out of the water, Sandra should use a hose to rinse the camera well, with some pressure, and get all the dials and buttons to have a real spraying where fresh water can push the salt and minerals out....A year later, after a spray at the boat or BHB, and a BIG spray with the hose at home....and the Rinse bucket just being used to keep crystals from forming prior to the hosings...the maintance last year showed the housing was pristine this time, compared to just sitting the housing in the water.

I use an AO cooler and it can double as my "personal item" for carryon purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing worth mentioning...just the soak is NOT really enough for a big housing....Sandra has been using the Sea & Sea housing for her Canon 5D Mark II...and dives 2 to 3 times per week..or more...for many years now...

The Sea& Sea was NOT getting the salt and deposits cleaned out well enough when Sandra only let the camera sit in the rinse water....This came out 2 years ago at yearly maintenance by Reef Photo ( who are A.W.E.S.O.M.E. by the way)....It was determined, that on getting out of the water, Sandra should use a hose to rinse the camera well, with some pressure, and get all the dials and buttons to have a real spraying where fresh water can push the salt and minerals out....A year later, after a spray at the boat or BHB, and a BIG spray with the hose at home....and the Rinse bucket just being used to keep crystals from forming prior to the hosings...the maintance last year showed the housing was pristine this time, compared to just sitting the housing in the water.

good to know and i assume that would apply to all cameras probably... and i didn't know about about Reef Photo -- will have to check them out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom