Tired ankles from fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakitty

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm very new at this messaging stuff so bear with me.

I've recently been PADI OW certified and I'm living in Greece temporarily with my husband (the diving is nice and close). I have done about 10 dives and we are ready to purchase our own equipment. However, everytime I use the club's fins (back strap, very stiff, too long), my ankles get very tired and sore. Can you recommend a more flexible fin at a reasonale cost. The brands Cressi Sub and Mares are both popular here. Does anyone have a handle on the European market??
Scubakitty

Hi Scubakitty!

First of all...welcome to the board!

Most clubs chose rental fins for their durability and not their comfort. I would suggest any of the split fins. Is scubapro available there? If so, try their Twin Jets. The split fin makes soooooo much difference. They move more water with smaller kicks and you feel no resistance.

If you can't get them, try Mares Avanti, or AvantiQuattros. The Quattroes (don't think I spelled that right) may look long, but they are flexible. What you are looking for is a fin that has "give" in the blade. That decreases the water resistance. The sides of the fin are still firm, but the more "channels" the actual blade has the better. The more channels "scoop" the water better and give you better propulsion.

Both the Mares and Scubapro come in full foot style, if you want to do away with boots.

Hope this helps!

Hi Scubakitty!

I just bought a pair of the Atomics split fins & Scubabunny's right, they do make a difference. They're a bit on the expensive side as compared to other fin types, but I personally think they're well worth it (I paid ~ $210 for mine).

It always seemed like I was the one trying to catch up to everyone else & I used to get really tired. The split fins have really helped because you're exerting more force with much less effort so you're less tired...& they fit oh so nicely you forget you have them on.

Let us know what you decided to get!

Hi there!

I can't speak to the split fins, but Mares makes several different fins that are good performers with minimum effort:

Plana Avantis (two channel)
Quattros (four channel)

Personally, I found the Quattros just a bit bigger & heavier than I would have liked, so I used the Avantis. (My husband loves his Quattros, however!)

Meanwhile, you might also want to take a look at Dacor, since Mares & Dacor are now essentially the same company.

Dacor makes the Volos and the Tigers. Both are good hybrids that seem to be a cross between a paddle and a split fin. And both are nice light fins that give you lots of thrust with little kick.

Recently I switched from the Avantis to the Tigers. Really love them! :)

Good hunting...

~SubMariner~

Secondly, I am not going to go into brands and the best style, just to say that if you try them on and they feel heavy, they are likely to hurt!

Get ones that feel comfortable on land...cause they are likely to feel comfortable below the surface too! Although remember that fins will feel lighter underwater so a little heaviness above will be unnoticable below!

Thank you everyone for all the great suggestions. I will certainly check them out. This website is really great and everyone is so supportive!! Scuba divers are great people "Here's to all of you!"

Scubakitty

Scubakitty,
Have you the "tip of the day" on the Rodales website? I just read it and think that there may be some information there that will help you in choosing the correct fin for you. One guy I dive with uses a short stubby vented fin that he swears by. Whenever he uses a longer fin he complains of leg and ankle fatigue.

I had a similar problem and found that my original fins were not only too stiff but too large. They were coming too far up at the front of my ankle/foot and causing me to have discomfort & also cramp up. The stiffer fin was also hard on my knees.
I had purchased them per advice of a scuba shop owner (when I was newly cerified) so I thought it was MY problem, somehow. After I dove a bit I realized something was definitely wrong here-- I bought new flexible, 4 channeled and size S the problems stopped.
What a difference to have fins that are right for me.

my fins that cause me to get an aching back after diving??? I know it isnt my BC as I have done all the tests and have tried god knows how many....but I never considered it could be my fins.

It sounds strange but I also suffer from fatigue when diving - and get aching legs even though I am reasonably fit and dont tend to try and catch up with the speed of light.

The reason I ask is cause I am always cautious of any pains in my lowe back as I hav just under 50% normal kidney function and any strain on my back is never considered good - hence why I sometimes use kiddie cylinders!!!!

I had back problems too. My fins (Platinas) were positively bouyant so my feet would always try to float up. But, it also had to do with wear I wore my weight (try to say that 10 times fast!). I had integrated weights, and was wearing all my soft weights (5lbs on each side) in my weight pockets. So, when I was diving, all my weight was on the front of me pulling me down..my feet were trying to float up..and I had to keep my head up to see where I was going. So, I was always diving in, basically, a "U" shape.

After I got more flexible negative bouyant fins (black twin jets) and put some of my weight in my non-dumpable weight pockets in back (3lbs in integrated and 2lbs in back pockets,each side) I'm now actually horizontal. Don't know why the weights made so much difference. Think because they are "holding" me down rather than "pulling" me. But that helped alot!

Back
Top Bottom