Tired of LocLine arms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It wouldn't work the way I do it. Regular arms have fixed lengths and there are many positions simply not possible, like really close to the camera. Loc-line does that, which is where the sola usually sits as a focus light. But if I video I can quickly move it anywhere.
This is one of the reasons I moved to an arm and ball system. locline has a minimum bending radius. this prevents it from reaching everywhere.

A simple 2 arm system will allow you to position the end of the arm anywhere - as long as you have the proper lengths and mounts.

This is why this forum (and this thread) are go good. Two different approaches to the same problem, with different conclusions. Both are equally valid for the persons using them and for their application.

I think in many cases it's simply a case of "the familiar works better than the unfamiliar". That is, until it doesn't, then the inquisitive look for a better way. Full disclosure - I'm on my first set of arms with this recent camera as I knew I wanted something better than loc-line for the single strobe. So I am quite guilty of believing that strobe arms are in some way "superior" to loc-line when it comes to a strobe. I guess I think both have a place in the UW camera system as long as the use makes sense for the various conditions and constraints.

I got tired of Locline type arms within about five minutes of using them. I could see them on a small video light but for a camera strobe, the amount of reach to the side needed for a wide angle lens and the lack of position options, no thanks. Not top mention that they flail about like a wet noodle.

N
I could justify using the locline for the Sola light but with the strobe the best I can get is an upside down U to one side as the weight of the strobe causes the locline to flop around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom