• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Titanic legal battle

Discussion in 'Wreck Diving' started by Jared0425, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Jared0425

Jared0425 Public Safety Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    It seems that NOAA and Titanic LTC are heading for a court battle after an International agreement over who owns the wreckage and what is permitted by this treaty on the salvage of artifacts.

Personally, I think that NOAA and the UK have no authority as she lies even outside the US EEZ (exclusive economic zone), and is deep enough that only well funded expeditions are able to mount any sort of salvage. Possession of the wreck is still protected by the law of the sea that has been reaffirmed multiple times.

Wreck of Titanic to be protected in treaty signed by UK and US

Jay likes this.
  2. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

The other night I attended a presentation about a Spanish galleon that sunk off the coast of Oregon in 1693. But a different story as is inside US waters and my understanding is that anything of value could be claimed by Spain. They have found cargo washed up on shore (specifically beeswax candles) and are looking for the wreck, but viz sucks year round, and typically get only a few days each year where they attempt to find it with divers. There is a lot of sand movement.

I’m curious how this will play out.

3. Rechno

Rechno Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    A Spanish galleon that sunk in 1963? Sure?

eleniel and CuriousRambler like this.
  4. Wookie

Wookie Secret Field Agent ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

NOAA had to admit in court that they bashed into Titanic with their sub, damaging the wreck, while Titanic LTC was able to tate (smugly, I assume) that they have never unintentionally damaged the wreck.

I am a fan of many things NOAA does, but their history of protecting shipwrecks leaves much to be desired.

Hoyden and Jared0425 like this.
  5. Scuba Cobra

Scuba Cobra Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
  6. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

Lol fixed

7. Jared0425

Jared0425 Public Safety Diver

A lot of the Spanish shipwreck debate came after the Odyssey salvage of the Merćedes (shortened) and the identifying factor of warship vs armed merchant. In the US armed merchants are considered civilian owned therefore Spain has no claim, however if the Spanish government (or any other) claims that it is a military wreck, then things get complicated.

The massive treasure fleets will be interesting once they are found.

KathyV likes this.
  8. aue-mike

aue-mike Manta Ray

Nope. NOAA did not bash into TITANIC with their sub as NOAA does not have a manned sub in its inventory, let alone a sub that can reach TITANIC.
    The submersible in question, however, also did not "bash" into TITANIC either. Overly dramatic statements used for legal posturing.
    And to say that no past submersible or ROV operation at TITANIC has unintentionally "damaged" the wreck is a fallacy as well.

Jack Hammer likes this.
  9. Wookie

Wookie Secret Field Agent ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

Well, they sure as hell bashed the Monitor.

10. aue-mike

aue-mike Manta Ray

USN by proxy, but yeah....