Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that they have the capacity with underwater search equipment on site I expect they will find it in the next day or so but my guess is they will find it with the viewport imploded.

I'm not a materials engineer, but any worry about cyclic fatigue with a carbon fiber pressure hull of that size? At least with metals/alloys you can often detect signs of fatigue (cracks, etc.), but not sure carbon fiber would give you any indication short of catastrophic failure/shattering. I wonder if they performed any kind of non-destructive testing (if such tests exist?) on the hull between dives or annually.

They claim to have built a monitoring system to detect stress issues in the hull so they can abort. Assuming their onboard PC isn't stuck in a Windows update loop.

Also without power there is no heat. I would assume they would freeze first. Plus no food. They could eat each other, but no way to cook. Air scrubbers will last longer if a few take out the rest.

They claim to have built a monitoring system to detect stress issues in the hull so they can abort. Assuming their onboard PC isn't stuck in a Windows update loop.

Also without power there is no heat. I would assume they would freeze first. Plus no food. They could eat each other, but no way to cook. Air scrubbers will last longer if a few take out the rest.
I just read about that... link below

Real-Time Health Monitoring​

The most significant innovation is the proprietary real-time hull health monitoring (RTM) system. Titan is the only manned submersible to employ an integrated real-time health monitoring system. Utilizing co-located acoustic sensors and strain gauges throughout the pressure boundary, the RTM system makes it possible to analyze the effects of changing pressure on the vessel as the submersible dives deeper, and accurately assess the integrity of the structure. This onboard health analysis monitoring system provides early warning detection for the pilot with enough time to arrest the descent and safely return to surface.

Apparently the sole method of control was a bluetooth connected Logitech F710 (assuming I read that correctly). Wow..

Pump it up with gas from where? That gas has to be somewhere. At 4000 m a storage tank would have to be at 400 bar and be the same volume as the 'air bag'. I don't think that would work unless you bring huge amounts of gas... and there is no space of that inside the sub... and I didn't see any huge storage tanks on the ouside of the sub either.

A couple of small 700 bar 10ltr volume cylinders are about the same size as a scuba 80
and using similar principles used with the Military Totally Enclosed Mine Lifting Bag
or the Ordnance Automatic Recovery System this gives you around a 500kg to 1000kg capacity.
Add auto remote and a timed lift and a controlled auto dump for the last 30 foot of the assent and you could at least get stuff to the surface in a semi controlled manner.

Assuming your lifting a free neutral weighted load and not some 80 year old German Mark
4 LMB that you found happily stuck solid in the scour next to the WB gas pipeline for the last 30 years off the West Sole field pipeline to Easington Hull then its again do able and shallow but one thing.

Strapping an auto inflate on a 6 hour fuse for a screams and grins stunt dive to 3000MSW with paying guests attached would be quite another.

Dear Guest we value you safety please read the attached instructions before activating the OARS
Thank you for your attention and have a pleasant flight.

Maybe pumping out water ballast.
I don't think they were using much water ballast. They were using cast iron pipes and bags of sand. I'm guessing these could be jettisoned automatically/manually. Pretty basic.

1687305734673.png

While on a dive trip to Tobermory one year I was staying at the late Art Amos's Trails End Lodge and met Joseph McInnis who had visited the Titanic in the Russian MIR submersible. He told me how when it was time to ascend they did not have enough power in the batteries to release whatever had to be released. They had to shut down all lighting and heating and wait in the dark until the batteries regenerated somewhat which I believe has something to do with gas dissipation on the battery plates. He said it was a rather tense time which I thought was some understatement.
Art Amos was a very kind man. I was saddened by his passing. I never met McInnis but know he had a close call on the Fitzgerald when the sub dropped into the hold.

Interesting that Paul Nargeolet was onboard also. For those who don't know who he is, Nargeolet was on the original 1985 crew and had a bad falling out with Bob Ballard when he took sole credit for the Titanic's discovery. He released a very public and nasty letter detailing who really was responsible for Titanic's discovery and the shared credit with the French crew onboard the Knorr.

A couple of small 700 bar 10ltr volume cylinders are about the same size as a scuba 80
and using similar principles used with the Military Totally Enclosed Mine Lifting Bag
or the Ordnance Automatic Recovery System this gives you around a 500kg to 1000kg capacity.
2 700 bar 10l tanks would give you less than 40 kg of lift at 400 m, no?

Maybe pumping out water ballast.
If you want to get the water out ouf a ballast tank you would pump air in, I reckon.
I claim that they had 7 ways to do an emergency ascent kinda odd to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom