Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd forgotten also about Pisces III.
So to list lost submersibles known now
1968 Alvin: recovered and returned to service
1973 Johnson Sea Link: crew suffocated but sub returned to service
1973 Pisces III: sub repaired and returned to surface
1995 Delta: entangled on Lusitania and lost propeller. Returned to service
2006 AS-28: entangled in nets and rescued
2023 Titan: Lost

It's an independent mini sub. No tether.
There is a remote chance that it's disabled on the surface. But most likely it's sunken or flooded on the bottom and everyone is dead or soon to be so.
Even if it surfaced they’re screwed because they can’t open the hatch from the inside.

Here is footage of how they made the hull. The titanium cylinder was wrapped with carbon fiber. 3.50 min into the video you can see it:

Reactions: Dan
If they had surfaced...... then there should / would be an automatically deployed EPIRB to show their exact location.

Sorry to say...... but my guess is that there was a catastrophic failure somewhere between the surface and bottom and that due to drift and current, this small submersible will never be found. I 100% hope that I am 100% wrong.

Here is footage of how they made the hull. The titanium cylinder was wrapped with carbon fiber. 3.50 min into the video you can see it:
I'd be a little careful using Sub Brief as a reference. I quit watching his stuff for good after he did a video on the last round of declassified info from the loss of USS Thresher (SSN-593) and seized on a claim by one of the search submarines that they'd heard tapping and sonar pings the following day. It was pretty clear that the search crew in question was running on hope, adrenaline, and caffiene and misinterpreted echoes from the other search vessels - when they stopped pinging, nothing was heard - but Amick tearfully ginned that up to claim the USN "lied" about the crew's deaths (never mind that an implosion noise had been reported shortly after contact was lost the previous day, the sub sank in water about four times over its estimated crush depth, and when the wreckage was found it was scattered over 30-plus acres of seafloor). He then had the gall to brag about the clicks and ad revenue that video earned him.

I shiver from the thought of how cold it is at 3800m, if at 110m depth is already at 7C. Probably near freezing.
I've hit 34F in waters west & just slightly south of there in less than 60 feet ...in a wet suit. It was a painful dive.

Kind of scary to learn that the entry door can only be opened from outside. If the rescuers couldn’t find it floating somewhere in time, the crew inside would suffocate from excessive CO2 built up inside, I think.
Unless perhaps some forward thinking designer might have included a vent valve that can be opened from the inside??? I don't know this sub, so I am just coming up with a what-if?

I quit watching his stuff for good after he did a video on the last round of declassified info from the loss of USS Thresher
I like his sonar recordings he has on the channel, but what is worse is he KNOWs he is wrong about Thresher and is hyping it up as a navy cover-up to prevent WW3 in some Clancy like novel.

The latest CBS report says that their air should run out Thursday Morning

And the latest from Bloomberg

The Bloomy report asks - shouldn't this be regulated? The answer, of course, is that any trip with a 6 digit price tag is going to be populated by the super wealthy & rules don't apply to them anyway.

Interesting to contrast OceanGate's Titan with a commercially available submarine rescue vehicle.

1687311358530.png

F

Back
Top Bottom