Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

“When you’re in very deep water, you’re dead before you realise that something is happening, so it’s just not a problem.”
Indeed. For the sub to stop coms and stop send position data by emergency transponder and not surface by manually dropping ballast indicates to me that there was a sudden catastrophic rush of water into the people tank.

Indeed. For the sub to stop coms and stop send position data by emergency transponder and not surface by manually dropping ballast indicates to me that there was a sudden catastrophic rush of water into the people tank.
Been reluctant to say anything like this, even if it’s more likely than not. There are at least 5 families waiting for word as to what’s happening. 😬 Can’t we be a little patient?

Also, my two friends had checked in via FaceTime with another friend early this morning. I appreciate all that reached out to let me know they were topside. Only 6 slots on that trip plus crew. They very narrowly missed being in that sub…

May they retrieve everyone unharmed in Apollo 13 fashion. It’s not impossible until it is fully resolved.

Remember the Thai Soccer Team? Another example of astronomical odds being overcome.

Let’s be optimistic as long as we can.

At this price I rather go to space it’s the same price

Didn't realise they were sending tourist down there now....

The article mentions:
“A submersible craft used to take people to see the wreck of the Titanic has been missing in the Atlantic Ocean with its crew on board since Sunday, sparking a major search and rescue.
Contact with the submersible was lost about one hour and 45 minutes into the vessel's dive, the US coast guard said.”

And:
“On Monday, Rear Adm John Mauger of the US Coast Guard told a news conference: "We anticipate there is somewhere between 70 and the full 96 hours available at this point."”

Now it’s Monday evening. Assuming the loss contact was on Sunday morning and no water breached into the vessel, they have breathable air in the vessel by Thursday morning. I hope the rescuers find the Sub before then.

Kind of scary to learn that the entry door can only be opened from outside. If the rescuers couldn’t find it floating somewhere in time, the crew inside would suffocate from excessive CO2 built up inside, I think.

Google the story of the Johnson Sea Link accident on the wreck of the Fred T Barry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom