Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to the USG Rear Admiral the debris field is quite large and the carbon composite hull was not seen, perhaps blown out into pieces. Only the titanium end caps found intact. That would indicate a loud bang to me. As the Admiral described, it’s a catastrophic event with a significant broad band sound.

I just ran across some astonishing info. There has been much talk about the forces involved in an implosion at the depth of failure. I've been unable to understand what kind of forces we are talking about when a catastrophic implosion occurs.

According to an article in US Naval Institute Proceedings Magazine, USS Thresher imploded at a calculated depth of 2400ft with a force equivalent to 22,500 pounds of TNT. That would be 1.125KT. The Hiroshima weapon was estimated at 15KT. Tactical nukes can be in the sub 1KT range. W25 is reported to be 1.7KT.

I understood that we're talking about huge pressure, but I didn't realize the violent nature of the actual event.

As an esoteric exercise I ran a Boyle's law calculation on the change in volume of the air in the sub at implosion

Assuming the inside of the sub was 5 feet in diameter and 15 feet long the interior volume would have been 785 cubic feet. Pressure in the sub was 14.7 psi ( normal atmospheric pressure).

If implosion depth was 11,500 feet, sea water pressure was about 5100 psi.

At the instant of implosion the internal air volume (785 cu/ft @14.7 psi) would have been compressed to 2.8 cubic feet at 5500 psi.
Not a lot of room for 5 bodies in 2.8 cubic feet. That is equal to a box about 17" x 17" x 17".

As stated, Germans invented rockets.

Then we taught them how to think in inches, feet, and pounds, and BAZINGA! We have nuclear weapons, nuclear reactors, and Saturn V.
Actually American John Goddard invented the liquid fueled rocket that put men into space.

Actually American John Goddard invented the liquid fueled rocket that put men into space.
OK, I give.

As an esoteric exercise I ran a Boyle's law calculation on the change in volume of the air in the sub at implosion

Assuming the inside of the sub was 5 feet in diameter and 15 feet long the interior volume would have been 785 cubic feet. Pressure in the sub was 14.7 psi ( normal atmospheric pressure).

If implosion depth was 11,500 feet, sea water pressure was about 5100 psi.

At the instant of implosion the internal air volume (785 cu/ft @14.7 psi) would have been compressed to 2.8 cubic feet at 5500 psi.
Not a lot of room for 5 bodies in 2.8 cubic feet. That is equal to a box about 17" x 17" x 17".
The liability (three pages) form reads like , they are agreeing to ride a machine that's destined to fail catastrophically! If you are a test pilot at least you have a reasonable feeling that you can survive the maelstrom in a machine built to take punishment!

Brittish revenge after US kicked their butts in 1776.
They didn't stop there trying to grab us back unto King Georges brand of bloody slavery. 1814? " In 1814 we took a little trip, along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Missiissip....."

Reactions: Dan
Wow.. 4 pages in 2 hours... that's really a hot topic.
Interesting how quickly the location was used here to construct a historical context. The location may be Germany, but who tells you that the writer of these lines is also German?
Anyway.... Back to the headline topic...

2.8 cubic feet is approx 80 L, right? i've got a garbage bin of that size. That's barely enough for 1 (uncompressed) human...

This proves at least one of them has a sense of humor.
I wasn't kidding, I'm asking. IIRC in the 80s you would see 'made in the USA' on some products. Haven't seen that in a long time, not that I remember anyway.

I wasn't kidding, I'm asking. IIRC in the 80s you would see 'made in the USA' on some products. Haven't seen that in a long time, not that I remember anyway.
Solar Panels
Micro-controllers
Crude Oil
Aircraft
Passenger Vehicles
Entertainment (Movies, software, games, books)
Pharmaceuticals
refined chemicals
Optics
Semi-conductors.

Now back on topic perhaps, since I am eagerly waiting for the meme "ban" to be lifted...
And in the meantime more fun from Reddit:

www.reddit.com/r/facepalm/comments/14hff09/oceangate_ceo_stockton_rush_email_exchange_with/

1687622309390.png

Almost like the CE bashing around here :wink:

Back
Top Bottom