Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone can visit the titanic for 25 pound sterling. Bringing multi millionaire tourists to visit the wreck is just an obscene display of wealth and nothing else.

Anyone can visit the titanic for 25 pound sterling. Bringing multi millionaire tourists to visit the wreck is just an obscene display of wealth and nothing else.
While I would never pay that amount of money nor assume the risk of diving to see the Titanic in person, no museum is going to be as impactful.

That's like saying going to the zoo is the same as going on safari in Africa. Or looking at pictures of a solar eclipse is the same as seeing one in person.

Not. Even. Close. I don't harbor any resentment towards those who successfully paid their way to visit the Titanic. I think looking at it from even a small porthole would be an incredible experience.

While I would never pay that amount of money nor assume the risk of diving to see the Titanic in person, no museum is going to be as impactful.

That's like saying going to the zoo is the same as going on safari in Africa. Or looking at pictures of a solar eclipse is the same as seeing one in person.

Not. Even. Close. I don't harbor any resentment towards those who successfully paid their way to visit the Titanic. I think looking at it from even a small porthole would be an incredible experience.
Having had the chance to fly high enough to see the curve of the earth (military aircraft past FL500) and also flying in the far north seeing the aurora borealis effect in full strength, this is a very accurate statement. No screen how good can compare to having seen those with my own eyes.

You want I send you a small bag of prátaís

Why waste 15 quid? Visit it in VR for 10! :wink:

Is the source data equally appreciably large?
I've done laser scanning, of a shipyard, where we also had photogrammetry. The difference is significant.

Laser scanning is difficult to get accurate. Base point inaccuracy is what's messing up the data. But it's incredibly precise, i.e., every scan is down to small details. What you get when combining the scans is a group of 3D "point clouds", which then need to be merged and aligned manually. Photogrammetry was only good for terrain and structures, while laser scanning combined with photos and with manual post-processing allowed us to map out every pipeline, valve, cable, rail, hook.

The volume of data isn't excessively large, it was usually measured in terabytes per session. Laser scanning is monochrome, i.e. you only get one value per point (distance), and every value is significant. Photos are then used to create textures if you need presentation quality visuals.

Someone posted a YouTube link to one of the reported "leaked" transcripts of the submersible having difficulties ... skeptical enough not to repost, but one thing that caught my attention was that the timestamps in the video were in Eastern Daylight Time. MV Polar Prince departed from St. John's, which would be on Newfoundland Daylight Time (1.5 hours ahead of EDT). Is there any reason a vessel would not use nearest local time or local time at point of departure, or is that "spotting the thread?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom