Titanium and/or Ceramic knives..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pete; I know that it is no excuse but I had some "help" and I wasn't going to go to 130 to get it back.

But now that I have the new BINFORD Dive 3000 (Stainless steel handle with a Ti blade and ceramic teeth , 14" long with a intergral pipe cutter, cork screw, and shovel); I can dump about 12 lbs off my weight belt.

<Grin>

I owned a MAgnum Research Single Shot .50BMG for several years, but it got boring, so I sold it to a buddy. As far as battle rifles, I bought an AR-10 last year that is Soooosweeeeet. Still, the first gun I go for on a bad day (or when my pager goes off) is a Glock .40, second would be an AR in .223.

Meanwhile, I bought a Tekna "dive tool" (is that PADI for Knife?) for $25 to use this weekend.

I have a lot of cool knives, some custom and some "collectable," but my daily knives are either Benchmade auto folders or a CQC-7...not cheap, but not outrageous either. (Although,when hunting I carry a custom Mad Dog creation.) At the end of the day, I will probably end up with similar dive knives: High Quality, but not extravegant.

Hey OD,

Is that the one with the silenced speargun, and the 10X scope??? The magnum version comes with a dedicated 30 cft pony bottle stashed in the handle!!! Of course you can always swap the pony blttle out for a 3 litre container of dehydrated water. I was hoping to get one of those for Christmas. I understand it can even be used to determine "up"... what a cool knife!

:tease:

YYYEEEEEEOOOCHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
That single shot 50 had to hurt when you fired it. Love to blue my shoulder with one. And I'd love to get an AR 10 myself. A few friends have them and they are sweeet. The Glocks are pretty indestructable. Great shooters. But I don't like the angle of the grip. Just personel preference. That's why I like the HK usp's. And I like the 357 over the 40. But I don't have to carry one either. I don't like reloading the 357 though. Just like it's ballistics. The one I keep with me though is a cheap reliable 357 revolver. Ported with a 2in barrel. Loud and a handfull. But if you miss it's so loud it will scare the heck out of somebody. Great fun at the range to. Ports look like a dragon at night. First I grab is a custom 1100. 00Buck and slugs. Home protection. But for out of the house I'd have to grab an AR myself. They are great all around guns.
My knives are kinda regular. Have about 8 Hen and Roosters. Couple of Gerbers and Bucks. Nothing really special.
If we start talking about Home brewing and Custom suspension Jeeps, I'm home.

Hey Mverick,

Did you see that thread on red-neck divers a little while ago? :)

Funny how you never see the old 50 cal in many hunting mags - bet those surplus FMJ rounds would work a treat on a feral pig (and the pig behind it, and the pig behind that one, and the pig behind... )! There was a bolt-action one available in Australia a few years ago made by Jongmanns or someone, always thought they'd make a pretty neat range rifle.

I've got one of those cheap clunky Oceanic knifes that lets me take 2lb of lead out of my vest... wishing I'd bought one of those little BC clip-on jobs now, and maybe a pair of $4 shears or a linecutter.

.50 for Hogs? That's what knives are for! (no, really... I've got it on video tape.... and yes, I would like to kill a shark with a speargun eventually.)

I had to carry a full size USP for almost two years.. and it was DAO...even on the SWAT team!!! AARRGGGHHHH.... No thanks, the dept I'm with now lets me carry a trusty Glock.

The .50 I had weighed just over 30 lbs and had a massive muzzle break. If you got it balanced right you could fire it fromthe shoulder.. but it was meant to be fired from a tripod... the kick was about like a magnum slug from a pump shotgun.

Okay, I have to ask: Who's done some practical research on using firearms underwater... I've heard all the anecdotes, but has anyone BTDT? I know some people who say it's no problem, although an auto won't cycle.

Anyone use the Ocean Master Titanium knife? It looks pretty cool but I'm wondering how good the quality of it is.

GP;

I have the Ocean Master in stainless steel. It is the same as the Ti model. I got mine in Blunt tip.

It fits well in my hand even with a glove on. Wearing cold water gloves, this is a good thing. the positive lock is good and one again workable with gloves on. It had all the things I wanted in a good blade. Blunt tip, line cutting nothch, flat blade and serated blade.

It is a full size grip (good) and a full size blade (not so good). I find that it works well for me but I have "smaller" friends who find it too large. It is a decent working tool, in my opinion.

Only rarely has somebody called it the "Scuba Machete" to my face <grin>.

Ontario Diver, do you use the leg mount holster that they sell or do you mount it on your BC. I am wondering how you actually mount knives on BC's.

GP, I mount my knife on the inside of my leg using the straps provided. I looked at a BC mount; but I use a tech BC and the knife feels (for me) just too big for my BC. Especially, with the proper (ie. big) handle.

If you get the OceanMaster, I'd suggest putting the Ocean Master on you leg and get a specially designed BC knife for your BC (Or a dive tool or a line cutter or shears or a bottle opener <G>) As long as you take care of your gear, replace it when you should, and are comfortable in it, that is the main thing.

As always check with your LDS and get some good advice that based on your diving activities, your existing gear, and your diving environment.

(But be sure to check out the BINFORD dive 3000!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom