Titanium or Steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spend the extra for Titanium. Occasionally I "space out" caring for my knife after a weekend, and it's nice to know it won't rust.

All the best, James

There is no free lunch.

300 series stainless steel is very rust resistant but does not hold an edge well.

Some other grades of stainless steel alloys will hold an edge well but some are hard to machine or sharpen and all of them are less rust resistant.

Titanium is nearly corrosion proof but is hard to sharpen as the last bit of edge likes to fold over as you sharpen it.

So...it depends on the grade of stainless steel, but in general I do not liek titanium or 300 series stainless steel knives - I'll live with rinsing them, wiping them down and even with a bit of rust or discoloration if I forget as a few strokes on a stone and they are good to go and will be sharp and that is the criteria that counts.

If someone just wants a knife to look good, that has a whole different set of criteria...

I've tried both and even with care to rinse off after every dive a SS knife will start to rust. It's just a matter of how long until it start and then it becomes progressive.
Ti is nearly corrosion proof unless the knife is assembled with a lesser metal piece making contact with the Ti parts. This can cause dissimilar metal corrosion (a rust prosess) after this starts even Ti will rust. If the knife is all Ti this isn't a problem. I prefer to invest in Titanium knives once sharp they hold their edge better.
As for sharpening yes both can be a problem to get to a fine edge. There are waterstones on the market that can accomplish the task with some honing skills. These stones aren't cheap (some more expensive then the Ti knife) but you should need to make the purchase often and you can maintain your knife for many years to come.

Titanium hands down favorite. Zero maintenance after the dives. A bit harder to sharpen, but that's much less often than the need for rinsing and silicone grease after each dive.

I'm with DA on this one. I'd much rather have a slightly rusty looking knife that I know will get the job done, rather than a shiny status symbol that couldn't cut melted butter. ok an extreme, but you get the point. After all a knife is a tool and not a piece of jewelry or a Christmas decoration.

My next knife is definately going to be Titanium! never had one, but the hassle of a stainless steel is just an absolute pure pain in the ass!!! Even with care they start rusting after only a few days.
I don't see why people have to keep sharpening their blades, what are they doing with them?..using them as a kichen utensil between each dive?? They are there for an emergency. Yes, keep an eye on the edge, but crickey, they shouldn't be used that often.

Stainless steel hands down. If you love your blade it will last.

Though I didn't actually witness it, I had a friend tell me that a diver in a group he was with was doing something with his 8" shiny stainless knife and as quick as you could blink an eye...a barracude hit that knife and nearly took the poor guys fingers with it.

Hearsay.......second hand story.....but a real probability.....
I'll keep my matte finish titanium knife and black handled trauma shears for my tools.

A knife is the most common thing lost by divers.

So, do you want to put a lot of $$ into something that has to be considered expendable?

If you can't spend a few seconds rubbing down a SS knife with some red scotchbright, how much time do you spend on the rest of your gear?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom