TiZIP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW
I bought a used Bare HDC with the Tzip. I put about 50 more dives on it, not sure how many the previous owner had but suit was about 2 year old, and the zipper started to leak.

My shop sent it into Bare for replacement and Bare said we'll replace it under warranty! What!!.

So I'm not the original owner, can't be 100% sure how the first owner cared for the suit but Bare just replaced the zipper. I'm happy but also crossing my fingers for a few hundred dives out of the new zip.

DUI is recommending the metal YKK zips again since June 30th 2015. They have seen inconsistencies with the plastic zips, but they still offer them for light recreational use.

Source: Waterproof drysuit zippers

So, it's a shame for everyone how bought an (expensive) suit from DUI and now have a suit with a plastic zip that might or might not work as it should.

It is after reading this article from DUI that I decided to get a metal zip on my drysuit. I wanted a plastic zip at first.

Thanks for that link. I couldn't help but notice that they're saying that neither YKK nor TiZip offers any warranty with their zippers. It's also interesting about the variances in lube instructions for the TiZip. When I got my Santi, the little insert that came with the zipper lube said only to lubricate the docking end. Based on a comment that the friend with the leaking Bare made, I looked at the TiZip website where they are "now" saying to lubricate the entire zipper. (When I say "now" I am assuming that TiZip presumably originally said to lube the dock only).

Anyway, I still haven't sent my suit in, but I have asked the Halcyon guy to find out what's involved in changing the zipper to a good old YKK brass... So much for "new and improved..."

Lubrication:
Both ends closed TIZIP MasterSeal 10 zippers need to be lubricated on the docking end from time to time. Please use the original TIZIP lubricant or other available zipper lubricants. Carefully apply over the docking end surfaces on front, back and inside where they connect to the zipper chain. Repeat before long term storage leaving the slider closed and whenever the area is dry during use.

This is off of the TiZip website for the Masterseal 10. Do they have other info somewhere else? I did notice they added this in the instructions

High humidity and temperatures over room temperature must be avoided!

On my last trip, I had my first leaks in my Santi, and they were on the docking end. I swear I pulled very tight, and it had not been long since my last lubrication of the docking area. I am not talking about a minor leak, BTW. I walked down steps and was very wet as soon as that part of the zipper was under water. That was the second time, and I was especially careful that time because of the previous problem. I relubed it, and I had a dive buddy pull it very tight for me on subsequent dives. I was OK after that.

Another problem that is more of an annoyance is that I cannot start the zipper. It catches somehow, and I need to have someone else manipulate it to get it started, after which I used to be able to finish it until the last leaks.

Yeah, mine often catches too, I think it's on the little strip just under the zip at top end, I too get someone to start it for me. I'm thinking of buying another suit from DRIS but if I do I'm going to get a brass zipper.

---------- Post added December 10th, 2015 at 07:15 PM ----------

I've started lubing the docking end more frequently. My biggest concern is it tearing at the docking end as it seems to get stressed at that point when donning, I try to be very careful when donning to reduce stress.

If you are having trouble at the docking area, make absolutely certain that you are pulling it firmly closed. Give it three good tugs. If you are still having trouble, examine the zipper end carefully to make sure it has not sustained some sort of damage.

I have never heard anything from Tizip about having to lubricate the entire zipper. I am double checking to make sure.

Never had any concerns like this with brass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom