To camera or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The other thing that caused me to ditch the GoPro was that it took hours to download the video to my computer, using whatever software GoPro provided for that. And then doing anything to the video seemed to take forever. Maybe I just didn't have enough computing power in my old Dell laptop?

I don't use the GoPro software. I take out the micro SD card, put it into a micro SD to SD adapter and put that into my laptop. Then I open the files in File Explorer like I would any other file.

Not sure what your specs on the Dell Laptop are but I use an older Dell XPS 15 and while it does struggle a bit with 4k, I can edit in 1080 and then render in 4k after the editing process. Plus with Resolve, I can generate proxy media which allows the media to playback at a rate you determine (half or quarter resolution) for faster editing.

The GoPro app has been terrible from the get-go

TG6/Go Pro combo on a tray + 1

Add in some strobes or video lights.

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

Yes. It’s not for other people…it’s for myself. I truly love photography and I like the challenge (and sometimes frustration) of getting a particular shot and then the sense of accomplishment once I get it. It’s like a game. :) I spend a lot of time and money each year traveling to my favorite places to dive and being able to look back at the photos brings me a wonderful amount of joy and fulfillment. I also enjoy doing identification when I get home.

I had good buoyancy and consumption before I started but photography has forced me to make it even better, especially in current. That drag is something else!

I first started off with a GoPro years ago then added a tray and video lights. Next, I bought a compact shooting manual with strobes and a wide angle lens with dome + diopters for macro for hundreds of dives. I outgrew it long ago but just finally upgraded to a full frame mirrorless system. I could operate and take photos in my sleep with the compact but now with a new camera it’s a new challenge! I’m up for it.

I’m a very aware diver even behind a camera and @Searcaigh can vouch for this. He is also a very aware diver and an excellent buddy despite having a large camera rig. We're also well-paired with consumption so it's perfect. Task load is a real thing and it affects everyone differently. Having the self awareness to realize when it is going to affect you or when it is affecting you and knowing when to pause with photos or not take a camera down is key.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom