To cert or not to cert...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goose75

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My question is whether the solo cert is worth getting or not. Assuming someone has decided to dive solo, should they step out on their own or take the course? What advantages does it provide? What other paths are commonly taken without inviting disater?

I see no advantage since dive boats/charters most likely will not let you regardless or at least rarely. Beyond that it is hard to answer for you since you do not specify what sort of diving you plan to do solo.
N

Nemrod:
I see no advantage since dive boats/charters most likely will not let you regardless or at least rarely.
Actually, lots of boats in your favorite dive area of SE Florida have no problem with solo diving. None of them have ever asked about any sort of solo cert, and indeed, the only mention of any cert at all was on the sign-in/manifest sheet where you write down "PADI, or NAUI, or xxx" in a column labled "cert agency". Very different from a couple hours south, in the Florida Keys, where they want to actually see a cert card and most dive ops don't allow solo diving from their boats.

In any case, though, the solo card isn't needed.

Whether or not it's a good idea to take a solo diving class is a different subject ---- I'm curious to hear from divers that have taken the course as to whether it was useful.

Thats your decision. I mean if you are going to be solo diving anyway and are healthy and have the gear and money the training can't hurt can it ?

Well, my solution was to get myown boat. I have never had a dive boat allow me o solo dive without a fuss. Maybe I just have had a run of bad luck in that regard.

I don't see how it would hurt to get a solo cert unless they try to load you down with equipment and procedures you don't like or agree with. I suppose that once some people decide to solo dive they have also decided that they really don't need approval from some dive agency. If the cards actually allowed one to dive solo with no fuss then I too might be interested. Good luck. N

Nemrod:
I see no advantage since dive boats/charters most likely will not let you regardless or at least rarely. Beyond that it is hard to answer for you since you do not specify what sort of diving you plan to do solo.
N

I have two reasons to be interested in solo diving.

The first is when diving with a group with little dive experience. I've found that it is not unlikely to have new divers all having trouble at the same time and needing assistance. My buddy is my wife. I can signal for her to look after one buddy while I go find and return the one in most trouble. Two times that I've done this I had to go out of range of any buddy assistance for myself. If I dive with a new diver group in the future, I'd like the ability to break off solo without reducing my own safety.

The second is long term. I intend to go into technical diving when I am ready. My buddy will not be moving into tec to the same degree I will. I may find myself without a frequent buddy that I can anticipate reactions and count on in a pinch. I think being comfortable diving solo will be an asset at that point. I'd rather build experience and comfort at recreational depths first.

Nemrod,

I saw in your post that you solo dive from your own boat. Do you do this offshore? Does someone stay aboard?

Dearman,
I have a 15ish foot inflatible with 35 horse engine. I recently sold he engine (I am getting a new one at some point) but I am keeping the boat because we bought a BW sometime back. Yes, I have dived solo off both in lakes and in the ocean. Thing is my wife is usually on anchor watch. I also dive solo off of my Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW. I paddled it all the way out to the first Libety Ship reef at Destin and Amberjack.
Yes, on the BW my wife stays aboard--so far---on the kayak and the inflatibe I just kept myself tethered most times unless it was shallow and no current. I dived a number of areas in Florida east coast solo with the inflatible, great for drift diving because it just comes along with me. N

I would not recommend tech type diving solo since I assume that type diving imples decompression diving with all the bottles they haul around.

Dearman:
My question is whether the solo cert is worth getting or not. Assuming someone has decided to dive solo, should they step out on their own or take the course? What advantages does it provide? What other paths are commonly taken without inviting disater?
It sure can't hurt but I'm inclined to say that anyone with enough experience and knowledge to solo probably won't benefit much from the class. This is definitely a "do as I say, not as I do" situation, since I started diving as a solo diver back when the moon was made of cream cheese.

Nemrod,
Thanks for the insight into how you run your boat. My wife and I are discussing buying a boat with offshore diving in mind. One of our thoughts was that we need one large enough to sleep two couples so we could dive with a buddy and have someone tend to the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom