To cert or not to cert...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"What would expect to get from such a course that you don't have now? "

I can answer that for my perspective, I would want such a course only if accepted and recognized widely as liegitamate such that I/we might pursue solo diving from commerical operations etc. Beyond that I see no real point for me but others may differ and may well gain useful skills and that is always good.

Safety is way over rated, live dangerous, die free. N

Hey Nemrod, is that the original Jacques Cousteau Aqualung you're wearing? :)

Had to ask, I just picked up 'The Living Sea' for a buck at the library and they're all sporting that stuff! All you need is that giant, yellow triple-cylinder tank on your back!

Crimson,

The tank is a USD AquaLung steel 72 (one of several) I bought with money earned mowing yards in 1966 from a hardware store that sold diver gear. The regulator is from 1958 purchased by an uncle in California and given me in about 1968, it is a USD Mistral. The back pack is a Voit SnugPack from the 60s, the fins are Voit UDT and the mask is an old Dacor 6 inch oval. The spg is via a banjo fitting and it is a Sportsways SeaVu also from the 60s. Yep, it is all the real deal. It is a great deal of fun to dive the "original" way we did it, no extra junk, no BC, just the basics. You know, in many ways the old stuff actually out performs, is more reliable and durable and functional than the stuff hawked on us today.

Safety is way over rated, live dangerous, die free. N

The fact that most of that stuff is still in working order speaks for itself!

I had one of those Dacor oval masks for years, except mine had a purge valve. I kind of miss having that as it made it easier to purge the mask without having to tilt your head back. Too bad I lost that mask.

My saddest day was having to retire my 22 year old Rocket Fins when I got a tear in the top of the foot pocket. I remembered paying $25 bucks for those and thinking that was a lot of money... about a buck a year was actually a good deal.

There is no reason to retire old equipment if it still works for you.

Diver0001:
What would expect to get from such a course that you don't have now?

R..

A couple of things. Suggested equipment. I can figure that out through doing research on my own though. The other benifit is problem and resolution practice. I can guess at most of them but I may miss something plus a third party critique is always nice when it comes from a respected source. My shop runs TDI classes among other things, so I'll ask if the also do the SDI solo course. If they don't, I will probably not take the course. I've been very impressed with the instructors this shop runs, but I have had bad luck elsewhere. I suspect that as most certs, the class is as good as the instructor.

Tod,

Thanks for the pre-reqs. I shouldn't have any trouble meeting them except for the logged dives. I should cross the half-way point in the next few weeks. I have a Flower Garden trip coming and that should add another 7 or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom