To double or not to double ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveaway

Reaction score
I have a dilemma. I have (will have) two PST HP 120 tanks which I will use for local diving (NJ wrecks) and I would actually prefer using them as singles since I'm not a trained tech diver (yet). But all local charters and the the course I'm going to take soon (wreck) require redundancy which in this area means either a pony (yikes!) or to double tanks with manifold. A h-valve on a single doesn't seem to be accepted as enough redundancy.

Looking at this discussion board in the past pony tanks are abviously not the way to go but a set of doubles don't seem to fit me diving needs either for the moment (no deco, to large and technical). Again, just reflecting what you hear here ...

How do you solve the dilemma? Should I go break my back by doubling up the tanks to avoid the pony or accept the not so optimal solution single tanks plus pony? (BTW - I have BP/Wings so I could accomodate both setups)

Any suggestions or own experience is highly appreciated.

Ray

Originally posted by diveaway
Should I go break my back by doubling up the tanks to avoid the pony or accept the not so optimal solution single tanks plus pony?

I think you have just answered your own question. Why would you settle for something you feel and know to be less than optimal. You don't need to be a tech diver to dive doubles.

Yes, most of the boats here in Jersey do require "true" redundent air source. Doubles are a good answer, but a pony also works for the majority of divers here diving singles.

My question to you is, If the boats didn't require it, would you feel good diving a single without a redundent air source? To me atleast a pony is a step up from that.

Ty

A pony sound like a good solution to your problem. If you are not diving in overhead environments or doing deco then a 3L (sorry, not sure of US sizes) pony will give you more than enough air for a slow ascent and a safety stop in the event of a major problem.

...Rig up a stage bottle from either a pony, 40 cf, AL80, whatever and dive that as your redundant air source. One of my buddies is a "reformed" pony bottle diver that just took his 13 and rigged it as a stage...

A h-valve on a single doesn't seem to be accepted as enough redundancy.
Curious, that...
Why?
Rick

Good question, I was told. I dived in Europe where the H-Valve is acceptable (and good) redundancy assuming you don't run out air (and we shouldn't shouldn't we ...).

I think redundancy in the NE is defined as redundant air supply (not redundancy for a technical failure).

get the h-valve and just tell them your redundant air supply is your buddy. :)

The reason the jersey boat captains don't allow them is they don't know how they work:):) I was on a boat out of Shark River and the captain started giving me and my buddy a hard time about no ponies and I told him we had a redundant regulators, he looked at the H valves and said ok then when we went to get in the water he made my buddy and I check our owns valves because he said he didn't know how to work them. LOL
Ken

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A h-valve on a single doesn't seem to be accepted as enough redundancy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curious, that...
Why?
Rick

An H-valve setup is a redundant regulator and a redundant valve but not a redundant air supply. As unlikely as it sounds a main o-ring failure where the valve screws into the tank can empty the tank and you are OOA.

Twins with an isolator manifold or a second tank (pony) provide total redundancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom