To Hit the Nose or Not to Hit the Nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try whatever your dive buddy DIDN'T do...:D

PaulChristenson:
Try whatever your dive buddy DIDN'T do...:D

That would be swim faster than me.

A

Back in the "Sea Hunt Era" we were trained to take off our tank and pack and use it to butt a shark in the nose to discourage an attack ....... maybe that's why there are so few of us left today ?????

Powerhead sounds good to me, but if that isn't available I liked johnoly's response.

Considering the extremely small percentage of shark bite victoms that are SCUBA divers, I don't really concern myself with it.

I also don't make myself a target by hunting and dragging around bait.

You know I've never had a bad word to say about Discovery Channel in all the many years it's been around it's maintained its status right near the top of the best channels on the tube. I nearly had a coniption fit when I mistakenly attributed to my beloved DC this rubbish titled "When Beaches Attack" which I channel surfed head on into this week. It wasn't until it went to commerical and did a station ID that I let out a big sigh ... thank the fishes, I nearly lead the boycott. Here I'd been watching survival week and was a bit tired flipping through the stations and tuned into what seemed similarly formatted fodder but without getting my channel bearings first. Turns out its the Travel Channel which keeps working hard to create that one break-away show that will finally let them leave the shadows and likes of QVC and HomeShopping Network.

I remember something about bubbles and sharks not liking them... - pull out the octo and hold the purge down?

followed by 2) put lots of distance between you and the shark

D.

Daylonious:
I remember something about bubbles and sharks not liking them... - pull out the octo and hold the purge down?

followed by 2) put lots of distance between you and the shark

D.

One way to find out. I got a whole boat-load of OW students doing their checkout dives this weekend. I'll make "Shark-Deterrant" a check-off skill. I'll have them try the various methods (while i wait at a safe distance) and I'll report back on who survived.

A

Great post Johnoly!

Your regulator is indeed your best friend. No marine creature likes bubbles. This includes turtles, sharks, gators, fish... you name it! Forget swimming... they like playing catch. Forget your knife... they have LOTS of them disguised as teeth.

Hi Johnoly

Well as you know not everyone agrees with spearfishing, but even so it is probably a very good idea to take advice from someone who spearfishes in waters with a high shark population!!

A great post with lots of good advice.

Cheers, Simon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom