to knife or not to knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stangscuba98a:
Knives I can see is no big deal but I have seen alot of places say...Please don't wear gloves (you won't need them because you're not going to touch anything)

Bonaire most recently to protect marine park.

There are two caveats to the no glove rule on Bonaire.

1. You are allowed the use of one glove for going up and down mooring lines due to the good chance of coming into contact with fire coral on them.

2. You may use gloves if medically necessary but you must show proof from a doctor and it's still going to be a major inconvenience to get the special waiver.

As for leaving my knife on the boat, I think it's very simple, it either goes with me or I stay on the boat and start getting ready for the brouhaha that's about to happen when we get back to the dock. Luckily I haven't had the misfortune to run into that kind of situation yet.

Then I applaud Bonarie's desire to protect its environment from incompetents and choose to spend my diving dollar in a less developed venue.

I'm a glove wearer also, even in warmer waters. Bonaire does have a no-gloves rule, but if I remember correctly... I think I bent the hell out of that rule when I was there in '05... Oh well, :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: Semper Fi, Dave

When it comes to a knife, it is better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

funkyspelunker:
If you're indecisive about shears vs. knife, get one of these!
Having both a knife and a pair of EMT shears provides some redundancy.

After reading about some cases where divers accidently dropped their knives while trying to deploy or use them, I put lanyards on both the knife and shears. The lanyard goes around my wrist before I unclip the knife or shears from the bungee cord in my BC pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom