To lube or not to lube?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before posting the question I searched SB and found quite a few warnings not to mess with BCD valves too often for the fear of cross-threading. Makes me wonder why manufacturers use such a fine threads there. Wouldn't coarser thread do the same job?

I want to say that the first BCD I ever bought, back in 1986, had coarse threads on the dump valves, but that every subsequent BCD (three or four), has been fine thread. I want to recall that I tried to switch from one to another, and noticed the thread difference.

I agree that a coarse thread would seem to be easier to install.

Maybe someone has some insight?

I spray all my gear (except regulators) down with silicone spray after cleaning it. That includes spraying some into the bladder and on the threads as I store my bcd with the hoses and dump valves removed. Basically anything that's plastic or rubber I try and coat with silicone. Hoping it helps to prolong the lifespan of my gear since I dive only every 2-4 weeks.

I got a case of the mcnett branded (not that brand matters) silicone spray pretty cheap at an LDS. 8 years later and I haven't run out yet.

So far nothing has failed prematurely, so I'm at least pretty sure it's not hurting anything. Can't say for sure if it helps or not.

Before posting the question I searched SB and found quite a few warnings not to mess with BCD valves too often for the fear of cross-threading. Makes me wonder why manufacturers use such a fine threads there. Wouldn't coarser thread do the same job?
Interesting. I’ve never had an issue with cross threading the BC valves. For those that do have problems, do you start counter-clockwise?

One thing I learned years ago, and use every time I’m working with any type of machine thread. Works with screws, bolts, or in the case of the BC valve, nuts. Make sure the nut is relatively straight compared to the outlet. Apply gentle pressure and start turning the nut slowly as if you were loosening the nut. When the starting threads align, you should feel it drop into place.

Before I got my Zeagle BC, I used to pop off one of the valves after each dive. It was just easier to clean that way. Don’t need to do it as often as the Zeagle corrugated hose hooks up to a garden hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom