To Pee Or Not To Pee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wadedeeper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
LOL...So I was just at the Scuba Show and I had a hilarious discussion with some of my friends about whether to pee in your wetsuit or not. Most of them tease me about my strict no pee policy I have and the one slip up I had when a harbor seal surprised me during one night dive where I let it slip and made the mistake of telling them. Yes, I wet my wetsuit (and almost more) when I turned to see this pair of large eyes no more than 3" from my mask. Mainly I chose not to so I don't get in the habit of letting loose only to realize a second too late that I am diving in my drysuit today and not my wetsuit (almost did that once too).

I have also noticed a certain scent after the last dive on any dive boat when everyone starts to peel off their wetsuits...and it doesn't smell pretty.

So, I am curious how many of us also refrain from letting loose the wild yellow river and how many release their liquid delivery system...make some yellow snow...play firefighter...shake the dew off your lilly...water the farm...mark your territory...or bargain with your prostate!

Soooo...To PEE OR NOT TO PEE...That is the question!

I don't usually get the urge until right after I step out of the water, which seems like a bad time for it.

Soooo...To PEE OR NOT TO PEE...That is the question!

I pee, wet or dry. I can be in the water for hours!!! And I like caffinated beverages. But not asparagus so it's all good.

I have heard from a physiology standpoint, with regards to hydration and warmth, peeing during the dive leads to a greater degree of dehydration and colder core temp. I'm sure some would question whether the gain is worth the pain sometimes, but I do know my current couple wet suits smell better than my previous wet suits, before I quit peeing during the dive.

That's another reason not to care about diving doubles; 90 minutes or so is a long enough dive for me.

For years I didn't pee in my wet suit. Then I learned how to flush it out quickly. Position yourself head down, feet up. Stick your octo in the neck of your wet suit. As you pee, hit the purge button. All the pee is flushed out of the wet suit.

Don't do this if you tuck your suit into your boots.

flushing out before getting on the boat or the beach is the key.
IMO the people who promote not peeing are the guys who get stuck hanging up rental suits that don't get a fresh water rinsed before being given back.

I don't pee in dry suits or neoprene wetsuits, although I've been tempted / sorely tested.

But I do pee in fleece suits (e.g. Polartec®, Henderson's polyolefin, etc.) since it doesn't linger.

When I first started diving I had a hard time getting over the mental block against peeing in the wetsuit. This just caused a lot of discomfort/pain holding it. Now I pee as much as I want. With the drysuit I have a pee valve so I can keep peeing. It's a nice feeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom