To split or not to split

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank You all for your help has anyone tryed the new Aqualung Slingshot fin ? would that be a fin you would consider ?

Anyone have a take on ForceFins? I'm worried I screwed up purchasing Tusa XPerts. Because I'm a newbie, I figured my kicking would suck, and the splits would help, but now, given that I will probably be encountering some currents, I'm hoping I didn't choose wrong. Given my lack of experience, at this point, the majority of my kicking will be flutter kicking, but as I gain experience and start dealing with needing to change direction and tighter spaces, and making smaller movements, I would imagine I will do other types of kicks.

I love my splits and I don't have "weak legs". I really like them in current. My new bio fins kick butt in the current. I used my boyfriends Atomics for a long time and when I was in the Bahamas we encountered some serious current. They performed very well, with little or no leg fatigue. I can frog kick in splits no problem. In fact most of the time when I am just cruising around the reefs I frog kick. I think it is a very personal thing. I have seen folks who swear by their paddle fins and people who swear by their splits. Try both and make your decision.

Laurel

Its the Indian not the arrow

I would agree with TS&M's observations, with the exception that I don't feel much difference between frog kicking in my Turtles and Velocity Duo split fins, however the overall control is better with Turtles, I think mainly because they are shorter.

i use cressi garas and LOVE them. im way faster then everyone with them but i dive in open hardbottom locations on the east coast of FL
try a pair of long fins.
and yes i do use them for scuba as well as freediving

I need a new pair of fins so I was wondering what fins you would bye if they were to be used in waters with heavier current like North Carolina any recommendations would be appreciated :D

Try and see. Personally i HATE split fins to the extent i'd rather note dive than borrow a pair especially in currents.

Some people swear by them though so borrow some and make your own mind up.

IIRC NOAA dont class them as safe or suitable for currents now.

i'm using Mares Quatros.... love em... it's a solid fin

Ditto on that! I started with the Plana Avanti's and couldn't keep up with my buddies that were diving Quattro's so I got a set and WOW what a difference!

This November I was in the Keys, and (of course) I happened to be there when the water was a bit turbid and the winds were blowing and there was a nasty current to contend with on most of my dives, the Quattro's performed GREAT!

One of my aforementioned dive buddies did a demo with the new Mares Splits and didn't really like them....he put his Quattro's back on and was back in business!

Try them out for yourself.....

I've got a battered 7 year old set of Avantis and wouldn't change them for anything :)

I live in NC and have dived the inshore and offshore currents many times. Tried using split fins for one dive season, but could NOT keep up with my dive buddies, and honestly wore myself out trying. Do not ever plan on trying split fins again, even if there is no current.

My TUSA Imprex Tri-Ex open-heel fins with 20 degree blade angle and spring straps, and my Mares Avanti Quattro Power full foot fins are both great for power and propulsion. I can outswim any of my buddies with either fin if I want to, but the extra power is really good for catching up with the crowd after I hang back to take that "perfect" underwater picture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom