To store Ikelite housing closed or open for long term?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noladiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been storing my Ikelite housing closed for the past few weeks in between Key West and Alabama. Today I opened my housing to assemble it for today's dive at Blue Water in Pelham, AL and I noticed the O-Ring appeared slightly stretched out. Its a small Ikelite for a Sony Cybershot

I was always told to take the o-ring out, loosely fold it, and put it into the case and close it.....

Don't store it closed as the compression on the o-ring will over time cause it to develop a "memory" making it more likely to leak. I don't know about removing it though, although that seems likely to be the best option - assuming you can easily remove it without nicking or otherwise damaging it...

It easily comes out I Like that idea. BTW the pics from today's dive came out ok I shot more movies that pictures due to the visibility.

I store my Ikelite housing closed without the o-ring in place. Instead, I put the o-ring in a zip lock baggie and store it inside the housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom