To the OW divers I "met" at Jackson Blue last weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. I wasn't aware that caves had current. :idk: Thanks for clarifying this for me.

The "current" in a cave is generally called "flow." It's sort of like turning on your garden hose. In most caves, we enter the side where the flow is coming out (called a spring) and the amount of flow is determined by the size of the cave and the amount of pressure present in it.

In some instances, we start on the other end of it (called a syphon) and we are moving with the flow into the cave. These can be much more hazardous, because you need to be a lot more conservative on your gas planning to fight the incoming flow on your way out.

Some caves have so little flow that it's hard to discern it's even there at all.

Being a Divemaster means NOTHING when it comes to caves.

Oh I agree with you 100%. The ones I were with were cave certified to be clear. What I was wondering though, is how many brand new divers, fresh out of OW, trust dive masters because of their certification level and follow them far into caves and such. Like I said, I had one basicly act like I was ruining the whole day because I would not follow him into a narrow cave past one of those signs. He said ahead of time everything down there was perfectly safe for OW divers. How many new divers would have believed and followed him? I have a high respect for my instructor here, and decided to fall back on what he told me rather than trust the guide. But I suspect that's not always the case.

The "current" in a cave is generally called "flow." It's sort of like turning on your garden hose. In most caves, we enter the side where the flow is coming out (called a spring) and the amount of flow is determined by the size of the cave and the amount of pressure present in it.

In some instances, we start on the other end of it (called a syphon) and we are moving with the flow into the cave. These can be much more hazardous, because you need to be a lot more conservative on your gas planning to fight the incoming flow on your way out.

Some caves have so little flow that it's hard to discern it's even there at all.

With so much open water, I think it'll be a long time (meaning never) before I take up cave diving. Overhead environments just aren't my cup of tea. I appreciate the additional information. Caves look beautiful and I love watching the videos of the caves, but agree with TexasKaren68, that that is as close as I'll ever want to get.

Finally, thanks for looking out for those OW divers. Obviously, they didn't realize how stupid their actions were. They may not know it but you were their guardian angel that day.

And others require underwater rock climbing to make any progress. Watch where the bubbles are going!

:shocked2:

:worship:

OMG - that looks insane.

Cheers to the SB team for looking out for those divers! Sounds like perhaps one of them left not being fully convinced of the gravity of his actions.

In the words of Sheck, they were already dead, they just didn't know it yet.

Thank you to all you "veterans" for taking the time to help us new divers. While some may not see this as anything but some "Mr/Mrs Know It All" getting into our business, other of us take these situations to heart in the hope that we can maintain a small piece of knowledge that might help us.

While there is no replacement for experience, and good judgement is a must in this sport/hobby, there is a place for the wisdom passed down from those who've been there before us.

Thanks.

Great video. I can see why people like to explore underwater caves.

I, however, will never ever see the inside of one :D

... ten years ago, I was saying the same thing ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

John it was great meeting you last weekend. I missed all that I'm guessing but it will happen again soon. Good job on doing the right thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom