To weight or not to weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey BettyRubble...Where is it that you go diving?? It says East Coast but are you down south around Florida or more up north? If you are near Florida do you know how cold the seas get around here in December?

Hi SG: I'm in the mid-atlantic area. There is a local quarry here I dive, plus I travel to dive as much as I can. So far hit Morehead, St. Lawrence River and Key Largo. Doing NJ this weekend. I do not know the water temps for Florida in Dec but will find out soon enough as I have already booked a trip back to the Key Largo area in December. :)

Bettyrubble

By the power invested in me by....absolutely nothing, I hereby revoke your alleged newbie status and promote you to jr. Scuba Guru based on the op of this thread. Great job thinking it all out. I wish that half of my students had half of your motivation to get it right.

Well Shucks Steve! Thanks!

Do these special powers of yours work on other areas too? Cuz I have a few speeding tickets that need taking care of!

Well Shucks Steve! Thanks!

Do these special powers of yours work on other areas too? Cuz I have a few speeding tickets that need taking care of!

Now THAT is a REAL HiJack! :hijack:

And YOUR OWN thread to boot! :rofl3:

OOPS! Diving in Curacao with a skin vs diving in fresh water with a wetsuit are 2 entirely different situations. With the wetsuit, I need ankle weights, and more weight to boot. Fins are only used for stabilization, so I plan to get a pair that sinks, not floats, as I now have. I use snorkeling fins at the moment. Remember, I have muscular dystrophy so can barely swim. A DPV helps lots with stability issues, but hinders the learning curve for buoyancy. One must learn to put it aside when arriving at the scene one wishes to investigate. I hand mine to my partner so I am forced to deal with the learning curve. Keep the comments coming so us newbies can be pushed up the old skills ladder. tia

BettyRubble and ScubaGirlJg: Check out the freshwater spring-fed winter diving in Florida. The water is the same temp year-round (upper 70's - low 80's), and springs to dive are everywhere and every type (open caves, sink-holes, river drifting, crytal clear to nearly invisible, whatever; it beats staying at home and not diving all winter.

In some cases, their buddy could not get them up even after fully inflating the BC!!!!!!!!!! Dear Lord that is outrageous. One guy had 50 lbs of weights!

Betty,

Thanks for the thread, it has been an interesting read (I too am a noob)...As for the fully inflated BC not surfacing the diver, we had to rescue our buddy (unconscious diver) during dive training and the first thing we did was dump their weights. In every instance we were able to bring them to the surface without ever needing to add air to the BC.

My wife and I also checked our bouyancy by practicing with a cylinder that only had about 600 psi.

I think great instructors that encourage "stupid" questions are worth their weight in gold...we are fortunate enough to have three.

We are scheduled for our OW check out dives this weekend...wish us luck!

Vino

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom