Tobermory - Diving Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagirl15:
...Yes there are elitist divers out there who would like to preserve the sport for their exclusive enjoyment; on the other hand, surely there's something to be said for having a clue about the situation you're about to put yourself into rather than just winging it?

Scubagirl15. I hope that this is not your perception of GUE (DIR) divers. Let me tell you my story if you don't mind.

I was really was put off but what, in my perception was a sneering elitist group of divers called "DIR" divers. So much so that I swore I would never ever take a GUE course and had no interest whatsover in ever meeting anyone associated with the group. I had only ever heard of, spoken with, or watched in internet forums, on the internet these "DIR" divers.

Luckily, in my opinion, I stuck with my investigation and what I found is that the majority of the elitist sneering types you speak of seem to haunt the internet only and you will find on further examination that these divers usually have never taken (or passed) a single GUE course and even more surprisingly usually have a rediculously low number of dives.

They are called 10%'ers and they are in a large part responsible for the bad name this organization has received. They act holier than thou and love to profess their expert opinion and try and force it on others. Again. You will not find very many of these people in real life. You may run across someone who jsut passed their fundamentals and has a epiphany and gets a little overly enthusiastic but you really don't run across the flat out rude people in real life (No more than the number that are just naturally that way anyways).

What I have found is it is an organization of caring and commited instructors, two of which I have had training from first hand, and they simply are commited to giving you a very high quality education for the dollar spent. They have a mission statement that they stick to and they do not compromise and pass you on a course if you don't deserve it just to please you. They will continue to mentor you after your training and you will fnid they will bend over backwards to help you succeed at your goals.

The training doesn't speak to everyone and that is fine too. It is simply more than a lot of people want and that is cool. In my ideal world I'd love to see "DIR" divers everywhere but I also know that just won't happen and you won't see me outside your house in an orange robe playing bells and singing songs of praise about Jarrod Jablonkski or George Irvine either!Just to let you know the majority of GUE divers also wish the holier than thou's would can it, stop preaching, shut up and dive. Speaking of which I am off to bed because I am going tomorrow to do just that!

Hopefully your impressions of GUE are not completely ruined. We are nice people too. Well some would argue I am not but then they've only ever met me on the interenet haven't they... :D

Groundhog246:
Now some divers do carry way more than is needed. For myself, this year I bought a 30cf bottle and a reg and I have been carrying on dives exceeding 60 feet. Needed it yet? No. Will I keep carrying it? Yes, unless of course I start diving doubles. Just knowing it's there has greatly reduced my stress level, which has slowed my breathing and lets me stay longer and enjoy the dive more. And once I got the rigging correct for me, I really don't notice it's there.

One other point. Some of us may show up at times with a 40 or 80 cf stage or an argon bottle when we aren't diving trimix on some shallow dive but we are also using these shallow dives to prepare ourselves for dives where these tools are absolute neccesities. We may look overdressed but we have upcoming courses that require we be familiar in this gear and there is no better place to practice than in the water.

We may be diving with more than we been but we are becoming familiar with gear we will need someday so we can use it efficiently when the time comes. That is not substituting equipment for skill.

BTW. In case I've yet to mention it thanks very much for helping us on and off your boat when we have been on it Jim. You do make a great babysitter for us Christmas trees and are very patient and helpful with us. :D

d33ps1x:
Scubagirl15. I hope that this is not your perception of GUE (DIR) divers. Let me tell you my story if you don't mind.

I was really was put off but what, in my perception was a sneering elitist group of divers called "DIR" divers. So much so that I swore I would never ever take a GUE course and had no interest whatsover in ever meeting anyone associated with the group. I had only ever heard of, spoken with, or watched in internet forums, on the internet these "DIR" divers.

Luckily, in my opinion, I stuck with my investigation and what I found is that the majority of the elitist sneering types you speak of seem to haunt the internet only and you will find on further examination that these divers usually have never taken (or passed) a single GUE course and even more surprisingly usually have a rediculously low number of dives.

They are called 10%'ers and they are in a large part responsible for the bad name this organization has received. They act holier than thou and love to profess their expert opinion and try and force it on others. Again. You will not find very many of these people in real life. You may run across someone who jsut passed their fundamentals and has a epiphany and gets a little overly enthusiastic but you really don't run across the flat out rude people in real life (No more than the number that are just naturally that way anyways).

What I have found is it is an organization of caring and commited instructors, two of which I have had training from first hand, and they simply are commited to giving you a very high quality education for the dollar spent. They have a mission statement that they stick to and they do not compromise and pass you on a course if you don't deserve it just to please you. They will continue to mentor you after your training and you will fnid they will bend over backwards to help you succeed at your goals.

The training doesn't speak to everyone and that is fine too. It is simply more than a lot of people want and that is cool. In my ideal world I'd love to see "DIR" divers everywhere but I also know that just won't happen and you won't see me outside your house in an orange robe playing bells and singing songs of praise about Jarrod Jablonkski or George Irvine either!Just to let you know the majority of GUE divers also wish the holier than thou's would can it, stop preaching, shut up and dive. Speaking of which I am off to bed because I am going tomorrow to do just that!

Hopefully your impressions of GUE are not completely ruined. We are nice people too. Well some would argue I am not but then they've only ever met me on the interenet haven't they... :D

Well put my man!

Currently being one of those 10%ers, as you once were, I can see that I am following the same route and thought processes that you have.

Regards

Steve

Well said, I do indeed understand that many in their doubles with stages are treating them as training dives for much more demanding dives. In my view, almost every dive is a training dive, as I am always working to improve my trim, buoyancy, SAC, etc.

Rigging for my 30CF. I dive a Sherwood Outback. Carry it rigged like a stage bottle (clips at the neck and about 2/3 down the body of the cylinder, piece of inner tube to secure the 2nd), and clipped off on my right side, upper D ring on the shoulder/chest and at lower right ring at my waist. I find that's the most out of the way place (keeps it away from the inflator assy on the left) for me. When slinging it, I move 1 pound of lead to the left, so that the left weight pocket has 2 lbs more than the right. The advantages IMHO of that location, I can see the spg (it's on a 6" hose) and the 1st and 2nd stages, it's less of an entaglement hazard than piggy backed on the main tank and if it did tangle I can see/clear or even dump it, if required I could unclip underwater and pass to another diver.

d33ps1x:

Not at all D33p. Never said anything about GUE or DIR. In fact, I'm working on my skills right now in preparation to do a DIR-F course. I never understood the hostility I've noticed towards GUE or DIR.

To be completely honest, I wish more people would dive with a lot more awareness and care, but I'm enough of a realist to accept that there are many divers out there who don't dive that way and don't understand why I would. Heck, I know divers who think they're god's gift to diving but will flutter kick their way around a wreck and ruin the viz for everyone: I could rant for days on this subject, but I'll keep my opinions to myself. You probably share those opinions! :)

In my lowly newbie DM position, I do what I can to 'brain wash' OW students about being aware of their surroundings and their techniques, about the need to practice, practice, practice, and above all, I do my best to lead by example. However, like I said, I still marvel at those who dive with so little self-awareness let alone environmental awareness, I'm amazed they haven't met a Darwinian end.

All I'm trying to do is not come across as an elitist and therefore offend or put off those 'casual' divers whom I hope to positively influence.

Scuba_Steve:
But isn't it OK for some of us to aspire to the finesse and perfection that others don't feel the need to achieve?
--- SNIP ---
What keeps most people safe is the (almost) infalibility of the gear, and a load of good fortune, sprinkled with short enough bottom times, to cover up their horrendous diving practices.
--- SNIP ---
Steve (Freeflow Divers Niagara).

Of course there is nothing wrong with asipring to improve. Just as long as people don't get forced to do it... What's horrendous to some is acceptable to others.

scubagirl15:
In my lowly newbie DM position, I do what I can to 'brain wash' OW students about being aware of their surroundings and their techniques, about the need to practice, practice, practice, and above all, I do my best to lead by example.

Adivice is always nice.. Just remember that some of the students get overwhelmed.. Don't scare them so much with advice (often perceived at criticism) that they drop out of the sport. If they are really interested they wil grow into it and learn for themselves.. Get more training, etc..

sparky30:
Of course there is nothing wrong with asipring to improve. Just as long as people don't get forced to do it... What's horrendous to some is acceptable to others.

Horrendous may have been an overstatment on my part, so if I tone it down and say "poor diver quality" instead, we go full circle and realize that a poor diver is a poor diver, whether they know it or not (and they usually don't), they're a hazard to themselves and others.

Therefore they are acceptable to themselves, only because they don't know any better.

I'm sure Dan MacKay will re-inforce in me why I am still a poor diver in October on the DIRf course.

Ya wanna come Spark?

If not. I'm told there'll be much video going around afterwards for all to see :)

Mmmmmmm I like video of me doing stupid stuff.

Steve

I see a here that some people blame dive industry, instructors, equipment, etc. that we have bad divers. Personnaly I prefer thinking about what I can do to improve. I'm not an instroctor, neither a DM, and don't have time to be one. But when I'm diving with people with less experience that I have, and I see what they can improve, I try to help them. Sure, I wont be teaching them new skills, or bring an OW in AOW dives, but I can show them how to have a better buoyancy, trim, etc. when I dive with them, and I saw a difference. I don't think it's replace a good instructor, but at least it helps people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom