Today I became GDI's first certified diver!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doubles

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Thats right, this past Thursday (11/30/2006) GDI (Rick) became a US Citizen at a ceremony in Tampa, Florida. Today GDI made his first dive as a US Citizen and I finished my Cavern Class!!!!

First I want to congratulate Rick on becoming a Yank! :D

Now about that Cavern Class :coffee: ...(and Rick has trained and certified hundreds of divers - I just happen to be the first student he had after last Thursday).

Rick has to be the most patient instructor out there. My diving skills overall are vastly improved from where they were just 2 months ago. It is amazing how far one can go in a dozen dives or so with the proper instruction and guidance.

The class was tough - I never thought my fingers could bleed underwater. The pull & glide - the best method of loosing ones finger prints I now know of. OOA drills, failed lights, lost buddies, lost lines, silt outs, broken lines, running lines, entanglements - and my all time favorite - the infamous blackout (really a white-out mask) painted from the inside complete with a set of blood shot eyes.

We also learned how NOT to run lines to close to those of others. One weekend there were 3 of us at Ginnie Springs. We all three ran lines too close to one another as part of the exercise, then instant silt out and reel 'em up (eyes closed to simulate the silt out) I think we came close to resembling a routine the 3 stooges would have been proud of had they ever been in a cavern class. We did get the lines reeled in, but what a challenge.

Then during an OOA drill Rick makes the Evelyn Wood speed break for the cavern exit - I think that 7 foot hose is closer to 7.5 feet today.

During the course we dove at Ginnie Springs, Devils Ear, Devils Eye, Peacock 1, Paradise Springs, and Manatee Springs.

It's been said already by many other divers, I have to say it again! Rick sets the dive training bar very high. He is dedicated to his students and to the safest diving possible. As long as you are willing to try, Rick will be there working with you making, you a better diver every day.

If there was an accredidation for the Elite Corps of Dive Instructors, Rick would be at the top.

Oh yea, and I CAN reach my valves:14:

hey Jean, I have my license to practice now - if you don't mind caverns only AND if you are in need of a dive buddy - shoot me a pm.

Cheers and a round of applause for Rick

Steve

congrats, Gilless!

as for GDI, well... now he's gonna get all uppity and stuff...

oh... wait...

:wink:

:42: Yes I joined the Collective

H2Andy:
congrats, Gilless!

as for GDI, well... now he's gonna get all uppity and stuff...

oh... wait...

:wink:

Going to Get? :showtime:

(BTW CUBA had the largest contingent of escapees)

NetDoc:
Way to go RICK!

Now you can lose that silly accent! :D

The :canada: accent will most likely stay with us for the rest of our lives. But What I will lose most likely is the knowledge of American History and Government. AHHH TO FIT IN and BE AMERICAN :us:

Gilless, Congrats! I agree Rick is a great instructor.

Rick, Welcome to the club! Now, the big question is do you eat Wheat Toast, or Brown Toast, and what do you put on your fries?

Mark Vlahos

Rick
congratulation!!!!
So now I have to change my story and tell everybody that my instructor is American, not Canadian as I was telling them
:D
Gilless welcome in the GDI's stables!!!!
Mania

Congrats Rick!

Congrats Rick. Too funny, when we spoke on the phone last week you mentioned you were Canadian... well not anymore!

I'm taking Rick's Cavern course in a couple weeks, and I gotta say reading these posts do make me a little scared. What am I getting myself into! :11: :wink: It looks like Cavern is really more like a boot camp for full cave? Generally speaking is Cavern about being introduced to most of the required cave skills, while Intro, Apprentice and Cave about perfecting those skills?

At any rate I'm looking forward to the challange. I just hope I don't have to wear the blood eye'd mask the whole time! :)

Congratulations and welcome to the rebellious colonies. Now, did they ever fix that screwed up question about who we declared our independence from?

It’s an honor to have you as an American citizen.

Bill51:
Congratulations and welcome to the rebellious colonies. Now, did they ever fix that screwed up question about who we declared our independence from?

It’s an honor to have you as an American citizen.

Thank you all and I'm sure Gilless has some pics which could be incrementing (and you are thinking about intro are you Steve?)

The question about independence and how you answer it will depend on the interviewer. I told them the British are coming

Mark Vlahos:
Gilless, Congrats! I agree Rick is a great instructor.

Rick, Welcome to the club! Now, the big question is do you eat Wheat Toast, or Brown Toast, and what do you put on your fries?

Mark Vlahos

I eat whatever dam toast I want and nothing with my fries except a burger and a milkshake

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom