Today's haul at Five Caves... will it never end?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Doug...maybe see you in 1.5 weeks for some shore diving fun!

Thanks for the comprehensive photo record. I'm finishing my month for south Maui turtle response. While we don't see as many green sea turtles with F/P, it seems like an increase in hooks and trailing monofilament is taking place. I gave all of my Maui friends, u/w shears for Christmas, but I have to order them online. As for all of the lead, I even find the net weights in Ahihi-Kinau NARS where "no take" is the law.

So if you see a turtle swimming by with this hook and leader dragging off of it, what is the best way to help the turtle? Is there some turtle hospital/organization you can call that helps injured turtles?

Well it's been just over a week and I went back to Five Caves today (with a couple of fellow scubaboarders) and sure enough, more weights and hooks.

We also saw a turtle just an hour earlier about a half mile up the coast with a hook in it's neck. It seemed to be bothering her. She kept a couple strokes ahead of me as I tried to get in for a closer examination and possible assistance. No luck. It makes me sad to see this. If possible you can try to cut the line. I carry wire cutters with me now and have not yet gotten the opportunity to get close enough but I'll be ready when the chance arises. You can also contact DLNR for a stranded turtle but it must be out of the water for them to come to assist. They won't go on a "wild goose chase" just because you reported something. Overall, not a good situation for any injured turtles.

Here are the photos if you care to have a look. My pile of lead is growing steadily! I should have a couple cases of brewskis in no time!

n1038890729_295538_5970.jpg

n1038890729_295537_5668.jpg

Last edited:
Several years ago I got hooked by a woman fishing at Makena Landing, hook was embedded in my fin, freaked me out at first because I was solo diving. I cut the line with my dive knife and broke surface, the woman must have known I cut her line, I just chalked it up for ignorance. (or could it have been an attack on a diver?)
I believe that with fish populations in such bad shape in the islands there should be a 5 year fishing ban, and when the ban is lifted it should be limited to isolated areas only.
This is my opinion, voicing this opinion in the Maui news will get death threats I am sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom