Todays training is in the archives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Went to work last night at 2130 hours and got off at 0800. Shift bid was at 0800 but I did a proxy. I get what I want because I’m #1 in seniority and how sweet that is. Dive training also started out at 0800.

We get to the Marine Building and to our surprise we find out all the new hire FNG’s have training in the classroom. So we just move out to one of the bays.

Went over some business and then head for Hayden Lake for some FNG bottom time. One of the FNG’s was sick so he stayed home.

One of the other FNG’s kept his suit in the trunk, :shakehead and then tried to put it on w/o warming it up. That caused the wrist seal to bust right off inside the glove enclosure. Seems he didn’t listen to me so the next lesson is going to be a harsh one. No reason to abort the dive for something so small. His eyes grew a bit when I told him he was diving with it and ME! :D

I must have shook him up a little because he thought the glove I gave him was a leaker and that was all he could think about was the glove popping off and him flooding with 38df water. Another :D on my part.

We worked on some drills but he was so obsessed with the glove seal he just wouldn’t listen and looked like a major fubar. So I told him to go put some hand lotion on his hard head to soften it up a bit. After that he started doing well with the tasks I gave him.

Everyone played and got some bottom time after the drills and then it was lunch. NOT MEXICAN FOOD! :D

After lunch we went to another location on the lake to get a bit more depth. Lots of hazards to deal with and two of the FNG’s matched me for air consumption. A couple of the older farts sucked up a ton of the free stuff.

We put new batteries in the Atmos Pro’s and all but one of the failed on the second dive. Let’s just say I am not happy with the computers or the customer service we have not been able to get out of Aries.

All in all a good day training and a lot of fun. Max depth was only 70+ feet, temp was 37-38df and the vis was around 30-40 feet.

Back at Marine I went over some gear issues and had them handle some minor repairs. I told them how proud I was with each and every one of them, new and old alike.

Three of these guys have less than a dozen dives under their belt but preformed like a several year hard core veterans. But their training from the very start was a lot tougher and more demanding than normal classes and it shows big time.

Next months training will be PT testing, then ?? and then to the indoor “Y” pool at night. I already forgot what day two was going to be.

The tougher I get on these guys the better they do. I don't think the FNG's are afraid of Lane B and I but I do know they never know what to expect or when. It keeps them on their toes and I know I can count on them when the Flies hit the Westinghouse. :D

Gary D.

Oh my gosh, I almost forgot, thanks for the reminder Tnfireman.

OUR token fireman, the other Gary (Gary M.) brought one of his daughters along. It was sure a good thing. She kept him in line. :D

I can’t believe what a whinny butt he was with a few chilly fingers. I can’t feel my fingers, my fingers are cold. How can you tell they are cold if you can’t feel them! :rofl3:

Don’t tell him but he did well. You know, with him being a fireman in a LEO world I just have to pick on him. :wink:

I think he'll get even for this one. :mooner:

Gary D.

I don't have a clue why but I just had the urge to go relax. So I headed for the lake and did a 30-footer for 30 minutes in the dark and never turned the lights on.

That was so cool with fresh snow falling. Now I’m about done in after a plethora of hours. What a way to end the day. Besides my gear was still wet. :D All in a days training. :D

Gary D.

now that's what I call FUN!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom