Tonight's the night for Bonaire sea wasps!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The moon jellies will not harm you. We dive a lot off of Klein, and on one dive last winter, in the top 15 feet around the boat the jellies were swarming. Fortunately we always wear full suits but it was a bit disconcerting. When we went in the water was clear and 50 mins later they were swarming. So I guess you never really know, and as the saying goes, "anything can happen".

Vinegar is not recommended for treating stings. Vinegar dousing increases toxin delivery and worsens symptoms of stings from the nematocysts off Portuguese Man o'War and Box Jellyfish.
You can check Box Jellyfish treatment in http://www.marine-medic.com.au/pages/firstaid/first_aid_treatment_of_jellyfish_stings.asp

I'm curious about this statement... In the link provided above it states specifically to use Vinegar in the treatment of Box Jellyfish and other Chironex Stings:

"4. If others are available, or if resuscitation is not needed, pour vinegar over the stung area for a minimum of 30 seconds to inactivate remaining stinging cells on any adherent tentacles left on the skin."

I'm going to Bonaire next month so this interests me...

Jim

Moon phases for Kralendijk (Bonaire), Netherlands in year 2014

For those visiting in June, 2014.

I have been on 2 Bonaire trips where we saw Sea Wasps or Bonaire Box Jellies. On 1 of those occasions, the BBJ's seemed more numerous at Buddy's over Habitat--I guess due to shore lighting. Divers were getting in off one of the boats away from the stairs and lights. In my few encounters with them at Habitat, they are easily seen and avoided if the numbers are small. We are there June 14-21 so we should miss'em by a few days.............I have heard the alternate 2nd stage thing and it should work well in the shallow water by the stairs and just off the dive dock. Just take a look before you jump or approach the area uw. It can be a trip to the ER and may be a serious sting. I heard someone screaming one night that got stung. I believe at the time, about 15 years ago; they were using squirt bottles of vinegar to apply to the stings which STINAPA now sez makes it worse!

There should be a lot more info by Googling BBJ.

I'm curious about this statement... In the link provided above it states specifically to use Vinegar in the treatment of Box Jellyfish and other Chironex Stings:

"4. If others are available, or if resuscitation is not needed, pour vinegar over the stung area for a minimum of 30 seconds to inactivate remaining stinging cells on any adherent tentacles left on the skin."

I'm going to Bonaire next month so this interests me...

Jim
Jim..I am not an expert on jellyfish (nor do I play one on TV), however, the PMOW is definitely not a box jelly fish. With respect to Chironex, it is definitely NOT found in Caribbean waters. So I will probably stay with the advice from STINAPA on NOT using vinegar for the PMOW nor the BBBJ.

Jim,
We're also going next month (21-29th June). Staying at the all-inclusive Plaza.
Was just planning on bringing 2/3m shorty, which I usually dive in warm waters (drysuit diver @ home so love it when can leave the rest off), and in 25yr+ haven't had issues...but now I'm thinking a full suit might be advised. <darn>
Here's hoping the Box Jellies and Man O'War have dissipated next month. :)
Doug

Jim,
We're also going next month (21-29th June). Staying at the all-inclusive Plaza.
Was just planning on bringing 2/3m shorty, which I usually dive in warm waters (drysuit diver @ home so love it when can leave the rest off), and in 25yr+ haven't had issues...but now I'm thinking a full suit might be advised. <darn>
Here's hoping the Box Jellies and Man O'War have dissipated next month. :)
Doug

Yea I leave in a week... I was hoping for my 3 mil shorty but I guess I'll bring my 3/2 full. I just like the shorty better. The entries over the rough stuff concerns me a bit as I can be a klutz at times. The shorty would definitely not be something that I'd like to be wearing if I take a spill getting in and out of the water.

I guess I need to look at it like my motorcycle gear. I would NEVER ride my motorcycle with shorts and a T-shirt even though I haven't gone down in 20 years. I need to think of this the same way.

Jim

I haven't worn a shortie in a decade or more. Used to wear them during our summer months, but the white feather hydroids would zap me. I always dive a full 3/2mm in the tropics even in waters as warm as 88 F... just for protection. I just hope my 3/2 still fits! I'm trying it on this afternoon and will either order a new one or buy one at the Long Beach SCUBA Show weekend after next.

After we spent an evening in the hospital on Bonaire because my son (then 10 or 11) failed to listen to the predive discussion on how to avoid getting stung on a night dive exit when the stinging pests are about, I bought us all skins to cover the skin. I do not need any thermo protection on the island, but my son still bears scars on his arms from that incident, and a light weight dive skin is the perfect protection.

We saw this happen our first trip to Bonaire... our first NIGHT there, a guy was coming out of the water, wearing a shortie and he had bright RED STRIPES on both his legs. He was screaming in agony.
The very next night we went night diving, not a single one seen or injured us... but then we always wear a full wetsuit covering all skin except hands. We were told they come up attracted to dive lights 7th night after a full moon or new moon, don't remember which. Only happens for the 1-2 nights a month, then gone again.

And I will never forget that guys legs. Wow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom