Tonka97's Five Scenarios for John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the kind response to substantive challenges, as paraphrased from a respected diver, author, and researcher, Gary Gentile, Shadow Divers Exposed.

Thanks for ScubaBoard for permitting this thread to proceed. Important information is being presented here, that transcends "LDS or LeisurePro?" "Snorkel or Not?" "Too fat to Dive?"

Stay tuned for continuing challenges, and rebuttals based upon Shadow Divers Exposed by Gary Gentile:

How did U869 meet its demise?

Who took credit for locating diver, Mark Ruggiero, on the Texas Tower... who actually located his body?

Who actually went to Germany with Chatterton to meet with Horst Bredow in 1991? Hint: it wasn't Kohler.

Which divers, unmentioned in Shadow Divers, accompanied Chatterton and Kohler on the U869 tag recovery dive?

Why was Chatterton's tag recovery dive converted into an out-of-air and entanglement crisis, when the facts don't jibe with the narrative.

:coffee:

Tonka,

As we have already discussed, I don't see any solid evidence to indicate specifically what happened to the U869. There are a couple of hyposthesis, and personally I think the circular run torpedo is most likely.

There is no credit to be had in the case of any diving fatality. John Moyer saw the body, too deep for him to make a recovery. I went down and got Mr. Ruggerio's body with the "assisatance" of Nick Caruso, who completely ran out of air at about 100 feet. There is a lot more that could be said, but what is the point here?

John Yurga and I went to Germany in 1991, Richie and I later on.

John Yurga and Pat Rooney supported Richie and I from the exterior of the wreck. They sent up the bag, and did a great job. I have already mentioned that Shadow Divers was never meant to be an almanac of every single little contribution that was made to help Richie and I do what we did. I have no idea if they are in the book or not? We have acknowledged all along that a lot of people helped us.

What conversion are you talking about? I went in the Emotor Room. Unfortunately, I got entangled, ran out of gas, I ran over on time, I was short on Deco gas, but I was lucky enough to identify the wreck? Probably not my best dive, but in a strange way successful. That is it. Are you saying that someone who was not there, is in a better position to know anything about me or the dive? Maybe not so much?

Tonka, I think we are done here. I imagine you can go on far longer than I can. I have answered a lot more than 5 questions and I have to believe you have taken your best shots. It is what it is. Quite frankly, I have other goals to achieve in diving and I need to focus elsewhere. I suggest that you read through the posts and maybe reflect a little. You seem to have a tremendous amount of energy, maybe you need to find your own book, dive, or crusade to invest in. Think about something positive.

Fade to Black

Thank you, John. As with the quest to ID the sub, this too has reached an end. I'm glad you decided to visit our little community & look forward to reading about more current events. You're diving at a level beyond what most of us do & that's interesting.

Since John has been so gracious as to join our forum, don't you all think that it would be cool to get out of this little circle of accusations and defense, and talk about some other interesting stuff?

Obviously, that would be appropriate in another thread.

For example, in one of the DSD episodes, John and Ritchie were to dive some cenotes in Mexico. John's rebreather had a malfunction, so he didn't do the dive.

So, my question is: John were you able to enjoy some cenote dives on a rebreather, later in the trip? My experiences in Cenotes are completely on OC, but I was still completely consumed by the clarity of the water. The sensation of flying as if in air, is stymied a bit by looking over at my buddy and seeing exhaust bubbles.
Whats it like on a CCR?

My rebreather issue was a bad oring in the lid of the Ouroborous. The manufacturer had to engineer a replacement. I have been diving in the cenotes of the DR both before and after that dive. I am convinced that CC is superior to OC in the cave environment, but that is what makes me more comfortable?? Then again, it is not a place for novice rebreather divers. Maybe some day you wil,l trade in your OC kit?

Cheers

John, you obviously have a great gig and must thoroughly enjoy it. If you ever decide to dive Catalina Island, CA, let me (and others) know. My lovely bride and I would love to meet and dive with you.
Thanks for posting here, it is a great place and getting better all the time.

Thanks for the invite. I have been to Catalina and it is some great diving.

I would also like to thank everyone on this thread for all the nice feedback. I will see you elsewhere on SB.

Cheers

A nice fitting ending to an informative yet wacky, at times, thread!

TANKS! (errr. thanks that is!)

My rebreather issue was a bad oring in the lid of the Ouroborous. The manufacturer had to engineer a replacement. I have been diving in the cenotes of the DR both before and after that dive. I am convinced that CC is superior to OC in the cave environment, but that is what makes me more comfortable?? Then again, it is not a place for novice rebreather divers. Maybe some day you wil,l trade in your OC kit?

Cheers

John,
How has the switch from the boris to the meg gone? how would you compare the two?Overall, were you pleased with the boris? I have order currently (boris).

Nonsense. I conceived of the U869 while chillin' with the son of Bolingbroke on St. Ignacius's day, 1415. Let me tell you the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports was more than thrilled when I described it to him. It will all be detailed in my upcoming book '100 Years of Fleas and Plague'.

Ha, and my new book will be named "100 Years of Fleas and Plague EXPOSED"!!

:rofl3:

Tonka, I think we are done here.

Fade to Black
With this the thread is closed.

Thanks to John for his graciousness and taking the time to resolve some issues for us. We learned a lot here and collectively came to realize what a class act John is.

Thanks to everyone else for their participation, and yes, even Tonka97.

There is another thread that John has been participating in: Shadow Divers: John Chatterton's Interview with ScubaBoard . If you have further questions, that do NOT include the U869, I would suggest that you ask them there. I must point out though that John's time is extremely limited until next year, so we may not see too much of him until then. Hopefully, the synergy of :sblogo: has him hooked and that he sees that his fans here FAR, FAR out number his critics, 87,279 to 1! :D We all look forward to your insight and humor "elsewhere on SB".

Have no fear though! We expect John and his lovely wife to become regulars on :sblogo: as we try to accomplish a few things together for the good of the community. As I have said elsewhere, John's focus is never himself: it's on others and it's on the task at hand. We look forward to partnering with John and bringing the weight of our humble community to do good for others as well. Hopefully, we can lure Richie in here as well as we have done with a few other legends recently. They really add to the magic here, and we welcome them with open arms and minds.

Peace out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom