Too Deep??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:1poke:

I already answered the original question, so I'll just keep poking Andy with a sharp stick ... works every time :D
cra2:
you do that aLOT.. especially for a staffer. lol.
Hehe ~ comes with the need to always be right. Obviously Andy disagrees, but I still condend that you always have a choice. There may be consequences or rewards to the choice you make, but it's still a choice.

Diving deep can be a tool or vehicle to access more sites, more reefs, more wrecks, different fish, or to see things that just aren't at shallower depths.
Deep diving can be a goal to strive toward attaining. Using increased experience, training, and equipment it can be a desired level to reach.
To some of us deep diving it is a preference over shallow. Some get bored with the shallow stuff after awhile. Some of us seek cooler, (cold), water often found at depth. Sometimes intakes on dams can only be seen by making deep dives.
Deep diving can mean a career to some folks, whether in fresh or salt water.
Diving deep does require more planning, more logistic, more planning, more time, and more risks. No denying that. It's like planning short trips verses long trip, big vacations verses small ones, big investments verses smaller ones. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
After filling over 20 logbooks I still like to mix it up occasionally. Shallow dives are still fun - especially when they're warm and clear dives = Not nearly as equipment intensive!
JMO,
Norm

cra2:
you do that [hijack threads] aLOT.. especially for a staffer. lol.

yes but i feel real guilty afterwards

:17:

Snow: hehehe... don't forget, i taught college. i don't mind repeating the same
thing a dozen times 'til the lightbulb goes on (or not :wink: )

why go deep?

--the shop said i needed 100 lbs of lead with this 2 mil wetsuit
--deep? how deep am i? oops... i forgot my depth gauge on the boat
--oh no! forgot to connect the inflator hose! again!

cra2:
Newbie diver here... with a dumb question for ya,

why dive deep?

(and let's not hear the hypothetical.. let's hear from the folks who've been there & done it, plz.)

To support your local Cylinder refiller!!!

You can't see the stalagtites in the Blue Hole without going deep...

Most of the more popular wrecks are down about 100+

But most of the most colorful fish are 60 and up :)

Paul in VT

Recently in Thailand I did quite a few dives deeper than 100ft. Why? The leopard sharks sleeping on the sand at the bottom of the walls.

H2Andy:
snow, it's like saying that *if* you want to explore the Doria, you have to
dive in the Atlantic.

now, you don't HAVE to explore the Doria. But *if* you decide to dive the Doria,
you have no choice but to dive in the Atlantic.

at any rate... now that we've managed to really hijack this thread... :eyebrow:

we now return you to the question:

why go deep?

try phrasing it this way:

*given* you want to explore the Doria, you have to dive in the Atlantic.

logically:

1. A
2. A -> B
therefore,
3. B

but, then its always arguable about weither your wanting to dive the Doria is a given or not.

Snowbear:
So what you're saying is..... You still have a choice :D :eyebrow:

unless someone is holding your family hostage until you dive the doria...

i have a congenital defect which requires that i dive some u-boats on the east coast... got no choice...

i'm also hearing voices telling me to go to cozumel...

<<unless someone is holding your family hostage until you dive the doria...>>

Thing is, you still have a chioce. In fact, the family hostage may be more of a dis-incentive to dive than a source of pressure. The true question is whether it's your wife or mother-in-law being held hostage. :)

lamont:
but, then its always arguable about weither your wanting to dive the Doria is a given or not.

lol... well... i never argued that it was a given

but *if* it is a given ... :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom