Too much fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go with the Hollis F1. Seems like the best fin longterm. The price is great too! Im going to have to go with the yellow ones even tho they are as Fugly as can be! Mistressmotor posted earlier that some claim using apollo bio fins can result in death... What's that all about???

Wow, sorry all, I thought it would be clear that I was exagerating, but I forgot how hard it is to convey inflection on the internet. Per my post, I have Apollos, I love my Apollos, and my other fins, while not Apollos, are still split fins. I was just poking fun at the people who automatically say that split fins are useless because you can't do certain kicks. Words worse than "useless" have been used. However, a lot of those people have not tried split fins or learned to kick with them, or do diving that is not appropriate for flutter kicking. So, I am sorry if I added confusion to the topic.

Mike

Mistressmotor posted earlier that some claim using apollo bio fins can result in death... What's that all about???

Wow, sorry all, I thought it would be clear that I was exagerating, but I forgot how hard it is to convey inflection on the internet.

Since this is a new diver forum, I thought perhaps I would explain a little of what I assume to be the background of Mike's exaggeration for the benefit of people new to ScubaBoard and its traditions.

Over the years that ScubaBoard has existed, there have been many, many posts in which people who are fervid in their beliefs about certain equipment choices give dire warnings about the equipment they don't like. "You're gonna die if...." is the cliché statement that sums up those extreme attitudes. Split fins are a frequent target of such enmity. If you look through the archived threads you will find many posts in which they are ridiculed.

The truth is that for many divers who dive in typical recreational diving spit fins can be an excellent choice that they will never regret. I have a number of friends who are excellent and frequent divers who love them. On the other hand, as some posters have pointed out, good, stiff blade fins are much better for other situations. As for me, if I had to make the exact choice you were making, I, too, would have selected the Hollis. But that's me.

Back
Top Bottom