Too New...Too Cold???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, all!
After my classroom/pool instruction (Feb), I recently achieved my PADI OW certification in Cozumel (5/1/03)...It was the most AMAZING experience of my life! (A BIG "Thank You!!!" to Sheila and John at Dive Paradise/Hotel Brisas...)

Now I am back home on the North Coast, and am thinking that I need to wait for the water to get a bit WARMER here before I jump back in...I had buoyancy/equipment issues during my one boat dive in Cozumel, and it seems that I need to become more familiar with my equipment and stabilize my technique before introducing the additional stresses that low-viz and cold water can cause...
Am I being too cautious???
The nearest quarry here is currently in the low 50's and murky...Although I am anxious to get back into the water and practice my skills, I have many Ohio-diver friends (in both wet and dry suits) who are diving NOW, I am forcing myself to wait...
Am I being too cautious???
I have been reading this Board - interesting stories and information...Very helpful...
I can't invest in a drysuit just yet...What about LAYERING wetsuits to maintain warmth?...I've heard that pouring warm water into my wetsuit BEFORE jumping in will help too...
I am excited to discover the differences between saltwater diving and freshwater diving - it has all been EXPLAINED to me, but I can't wait to EXPERIENCE it for myself...
Don't tell me to go to a pool...
I want to get back in the OPEN WATER...!!!!
(This might be Love!...)
:lovestrk:

There are times when I was too lazy to wiggle into my 7mm wetsuit so I layered 3mm vest, shortie and full suit. It did not seem as warm as my 7mm, but it sufficed.

Of course the fit of the wetsuit is critical. My 7mm is very warm (despite all the holes!) because it was custom made for a guy thinner than me so it has a good tight fit. I've stayed under for as long as 2 hr 46 min in Catalina dives. In similar water conditions with the layering my guess is 80 min tops.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom