Tools for Creating Number and Letter Impressions on Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stickers have to come off the tanks at Visual Inspection time to see if there is underlying damage, why would you put a sticker on a tank that is that hard to remove?

Because the lettering is crystal clear and doesn’t require the reader to study the poor penmanship found with white paint marker on 2” wide black electrical tape. The decals also make the tanks super easy to distinguish from others from afar whether topside or UW and because the reflective qualities make it easy for your mates to identify you during low vis diving. The decals linked above are super durable and look good after hundreds of dives and getting jostled around in the back of trucks and in and out of fill stations. Lesser decals will deteriorate over a year of frequent diving.

I picked my metal letter punches at Harbor freight on sale for $7. Haven't marked tanks with them and likely never will. Not worth the risk to me of someone failing it at hydro time. As a tank inspector, and not a super uptight one, I wouldn't pass an aluminum tank if someone stamped it themselves. Who knows how they did it. Proper tools or just beat the crap outta the tank with a big hammer

yep stamp it yourself , most will fail it i would ,...........thx bob running a course on the 9th hope nobody reads what you said then ill only have the alumasteel to wow ,,,,,,,lol

I picked my metal letter punches at Harbor freight on sale for $7. Haven't marked tanks with them and likely never will. Not worth the risk to me of someone failing it at hydro time. As a tank inspector, and not a super uptight one, I wouldn't pass an aluminum tank if someone stamped it themselves. Who knows how they did it. Proper tools or just beat the crap outta the tank with a big hammer
Lots of Al80s in MX are stamped with shop names so they can be sorted at the community fill station. They also have uniquely spray painted crowns (purple, yellow, blue, black etc)

Don't forget the hammer.

yep stamp it yourself , most will fail it i would ,...........thx bob running a course on the 9th hope nobody reads what you said then ill only have the alumasteel to wow ,,,,,,,lol

The markings won't be any worse or deeper than the markings made by the manufacturer of the Tank or the hydro stamps. I have had my entire fleet of tanks stamped at my dive center in NY, around 50 tanks including steel and Alum tanks, and never had ANY tank fail hydro for any reason at all, none even with the markings I made with store initials and rental numbers.

oh crap..... my real bad...:facepalm:

alls good bud ...the alumasteels famous too

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom