tooth squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. It may and probably does happen, however I have had a number of cavities filled over the years and I have never experienced any discomfort at all.

A cavity probably would not give you tooth squeeze. The cavity is just tooth that is made rotton by decay bacteria. The cavity would probably be filled with fluid. The fluid would not change volume with pressure. Now if there was gas in the cavity, a pressure change would cause a change in volume of the gas which could cause pain.

A new filling gave me pain going down to about 60 feet. That's the opposite of what "experts" say will happen. I had it removed and replaced, and the pain went down by half. After about a month, the pain stopped happening.

There was no decay, but something was giving me a problem.

If the pain is in the upper teeth, it could well be the maxillary sinuses. I have that problem on occasion. Also, I once had tooth pain on a dive and found out that the tooth needed a root canal. Apparently there were gases being produced by the decaying deep in the tooth. But, as far as I know, properly treated caries should not have an air space to create a squeeze.

Ah I see, so not garenteed however highly likely, I have a tooth with a filling in it that the side chipped off and revealed some bad news under the filling... I'd better go to the dentist before I go on holiday!! A tooth squeeze might destroy my diving!! Thanks everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom