Toothpaste Vs Flame Trick for mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I burn and then use spit...I will use commercial stuff if someone is handing it around, but normally I fill with water and let sit till i am ready to put on. Spit scrub rinse and away i go

Flame the inside of the lens and then scrub out the residue with toothpaste.

If you're asking about pre-dive treating a mask to de-fog it I find baby shampoo works great. But if you're asking about a new mask, or one you've had a while and just cannot seem to get the usual de-fog, spit, toothpaste, etc treatment to work FLAME ON!

Which ever process you decide on, it is best to have a test method before you get out to the middle of the ocean only to discover you still have a MASK FROM HELL.

Pardon my lazy self quote:

Mask from hell treatment.

I went years without having a “Mask From Hell” and when I heard someone complain that their mask would fog, I gave the usual advice about toothpaste, Soft Scrub, etc. Then, I got a MFH. Then ONLY thing that solved the problem is the lighter trick. I’m not saying do this first, but if you've completely cleaned every square inch of the mask and strap which is important because you can cross contaminate, then do as others have suggested with the lighter. Because glass is porous, some of the preservative chemicals make their way into the pores of the glass and the only way to get rid of them is to use flame. Just wave the flame under the glass not holding it too long in one spot-just until it is blackened.

Also, note there are plasticizers in the case your mask came in that may off gas and attach to the lens. It’s not been a problem for me, but some people drill breather holes into the case.

Now, all of this advice is well and good, but one needs a good test before taking a mask on a dive only to find out “The Mask From Hell” has still not been tamed. So here is my test:

Pour very cold water into the mask and get the lenses chilled. Then bring the mask up to your mouth and exhale some of the deepest, steamiest breaths you can muster onto the inside of the glass. The mask shouldn't fog. If it does, continue treating the areas that formed fog. When you cannot get fog to form on chilled lenses you have a well treated and clean mask.

A word about toothpaste either as a cleaner or defogger, it is best to use non-gel, non- mint or other highly aromatic toothpaste which may irritate eyes. Johnson’s baby shampoo works well and it won't burn your eyes.

Good luck,

Couv

The flame technique works really well. I used it on my atomic venom, which used to fog HORRIBLY. I had used toothpaste on it quite a few times, but it still fogged relentlessly. After I torched it, I haven't had any issues. It worked out so well that my girlfriend even had me do it on her mask. She also had excellent results.

Check out this video - good demo of how to do it, and why it works
Mask De-Fog Lighter Trick - YouTube

There is no danger to the glass as long as it is tempered glass - that's the same stuff they use as glass in front of a fireplace enclosure. For the rubber, it doesn't get very hot as long as you are moving the flame around. It does get warm, though! I do strongly suggest letting the mask sit to cool and not dunking or rinsing it in cold water. That would be about the only way I can think of to actually damage the glass.

Best of luck!

A Red Sea divemaster tried the flame trick on my new mask once and it certainly did not work. Personally, I do not trust that.

I find that the baby shampoo or whtever they have on most liveaboards and dive centres works best.

20 seconds with a lighter, or 20 minutes with toothpaste... I'll pick the lighter method every time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom