Top 5 Likes / Dis-Likes on Your Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sherwood Wisdom 2, model #7135

All Wisdom models are single-gas, recreational-only, air-integrated console computers. My pro & con list presumes those features themselves are not an issue, weighing just the good & bad of the unit in its class.

Pros:
  • Big, easy-to-read, easy-on-the-eyes display with decent backlight
  • Simple, intuitive two-button operation that shows most everything you need without switching screens or modes
  • Air-integrated functionality that's non-wireless (i.e. hose-attached), reliable, and unaffected by camera strobes
  • Easy-to-replace, easy-to-find battery that lasts 100+ dives
  • Most liberal algorithm out there

Cons:
  • No conservatism adjustment
  • Audible alarms could be louder
  • PC dive log buggy (although they do keep patching it)
  • Quick-release disconnects too easily when pressure is removed - would probably get one without the QR next time
  • Attached compass makes it a bit bulky - would probably get one without the compass next time

I cannot confirm the previous poster's problems with the accuracy of their Wisdom. I've had mine down with another computer and an analog depth gauge and all three were generally within 3' of one another, mine has never failed to recognize when I've surfaced, and temperature readings jive with another computer.

I usa a Suunto Gekko

Like:
1. Rock Solid Reliable - Had it for 6 years, still on it's first battery (need to do something about that though...)
2. Sensibly conservative (good margin of safety without giving me deco when I take a shower)
3. Logical menu system
4. Clear display - and the information (Ceiling and Minimum Ascend time) is sensibly shown
5. Phosphorescent display removes the need for a battery-sapping light (see 1)
6. It's considerably cheaper than an OSTC Mk2... and I already own it.

Dislike:
1. Neither multi-gas or bottom time mode, so not usable (even as backup) when I start gas switching
2. The display needs a powerful light to charge up - a 4w LED is not enough
3. It's not an OSTC Mk2...

Gerbs

I use a Mares Puck.

Pro's:
-cheap
-AIR and EAN
-large display with easy readable numbers
-basic but does all a rec diver needs.
-1 button operation, easy menu.
-gave it to a student and he was able to use and adjust it after 10 seconds without a manual.
- great for beginning divers who don't need a complicated computer.

Cons:
-1 button operation ( scrolling is a very Beepy experience and gets on your nerves)
- button only operates "forward"
- the pin in the bracelet tends to fall out (glued it)
- droplets under screen protector are distracting on surface.
- no dive start time or dive end time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom