Tops of ankles/feet sore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silvernotch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I notice at the end of a dive the tops of my ankles (on top of my ankle between my foot and shin bone)

here: (this pic best describes the area)
sprained-ankle.jpg

I'm wondering if it's something I'm doing wrong or if it's the fins I'm using. I've been wearing Mares Quattro

410KIGqWE%2BL._AA280_.jpg

Now my feet really started to bother me after doing 2 days of two tank dives in Montserrat and in April I'm heading to Roatan to do 1247934619273102 dives in a week :shakehead: I'm a little bit nervous about them getting sore. Also, I have super weak ankles that are very flexible. This could also be a contributing factor.

help :confused:

1. Your fins are too big, the foot pocket is pushing up aginst your shin instead of hugging you foot.

2. You probably have the strap pulled too tight. If the strap has to be tight to keep the fins on than the fins are too big for you.

3. I recommend the APS Mantaray fins. Soft material, easy on the feet, foot pocket molds to you instead of you trying to mold to it, and they have really good thrust with little effort.

maybe the foot box rubbing as per above post. Also, you might be straining your tibialis anterior/EHL/EDC (ankle dorsiflexors/toe extensors). By finning with your legs and ankles in extension you add strain across the tendons in the front of the ankle, which can lead to pain. Split fins might relieve some of the force. Could also try changing up your kicking style - to a frog kick for example. Once it's irritated enough to hurt, rest, NSAIDs, activity modification are about the only things to do for it.

just to clarify, I don't mean that my skin gets sore, I mean that the muscles get sore and tired. Almost like I'm overexerting somehow.

Do a frog kick instead of a flutter kick.

Yes it's going to feel weird at first and you may even experience some buoyancy issues but once you settle down you're going to be in much better shape.

Mares Quattro's are very stiff fins that also feel very long.
You may want to get a pair of fins that's more flexible. It'll ease the strain on your feet and calf muscles, but you won't get as much umph when you kick.
You could also try to alt your kicks or kick-glide-kick.

You may be trying to generate too much of your propulsion on your "down" kick in the cycle. I am sure this is common because most people have more strength in their quad than hamstring. Switching to a frog kick should take care of it. Otherwise, focus on getting power during the "up" kick in your cycle.

Is there any way you could get someone to shoot some video of you while you are swimming around?? I'm thinking that you are using your ankle too much when flutter kicking, when the kick should really come from the knee. Getting some footage of yourself would let you analyze what you are doing and how you could improve.

Peace,
Greg

I notice at the end of a dive the tops of my ankles (on top of my ankle between my foot and shin bone)

here: (this pic best describes the area)
sprained-ankle.jpg

I'm wondering if it's something I'm doing wrong or if it's the fins I'm using. I've been wearing Mares Quattro

410KIGqWE%2BL._AA280_.jpg

Now my feet really started to bother me after doing 2 days of two tank dives in Montserrat and in April I'm heading to Roatan to do 1247934619273102 dives in a week :shakehead: I'm a little bit nervous about them getting sore. Also, I have super weak ankles that are very flexible. This could also be a contributing factor.

help :confused:

Back
Top Bottom