Torch Bulb Choice and Reflectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PoorManDiving

Registered
Reaction score
I'm making a waterproof torch (canister) with dual light, LED and Globe, variable power, etc, etc.

Anbody have any thoughts what is best to use (all 50W)? 51mm Halogen Downlighter, Car Halogen headlight (with appropriate reflector), Car Xenon headlight, or any other.......?

Also, whilst there is not much light emitted from the rear of the LED, I would like to place a reflector to scavenge as much light from backscatter as possible! Other than using a small pocket torch, any ideas on a suitable small reflector?

All ideas, comments, etc much appreciated :)

You should check out Padipro's msn group, "Divelights". Cheap and a gob of light, also bombproof.

There's lots of good strings herein Scubaboard, too.

You should check out Padipro's msn group, "Divelights". Cheap and a gob of light, also bombproof.

There's lots of good strings herein Scubaboard, too.

PoorManDiving:
I'm making a waterproof torch (canister) with dual light, LED and Globe, variable power, etc, etc.

Anbody have any thoughts what is best to use (all 50W)? 51mm Halogen Downlighter, Car Halogen headlight (with appropriate reflector), Car Xenon headlight, or any other.......?

Also, whilst there is not much light emitted from the rear of the LED, I would like to place a reflector to scavenge as much light from backscatter as possible! Other than using a small pocket torch, any ideas on a suitable small reflector?

What's easy it to use a 50w MR16 (which is the 51mm downlighter) type halogen light. You can get them in colour temperatures of around 3000 and 4700 K.

The reflectors on the MR16 packages for home use are typically around the 36 degree mark. That's too wide for diving in mirky water but if you look around you'll be able to find them in packages with 10-12 degrees spread. Beaver makes them for use in diving lights. You'll LDS will be able to order what you need for you.

The MR16 package has another advantage which is that it's easy to make a holder for it. Watch out for the materials you use. The light will get hot enough to melt plastic. As you'll find out many people are using C cel maglites to hold the package. There are cheaper ways but this works and it looks good.

Hope that helps.

R..

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I think for the Halogen bulb the MR16 looks good, but hadn't found a narrow angle. Will have to look harder for them now.

Any ideas on a reflector for the LEDs. Also, any thoughts on small lenses I could use? would like it to be similar to 'Diamond 3 Tristar LED' at http://www.lumb-bros-das.co.uk/acatalog/Light_Heads.html

I have seen a bicycle using what appear to be similar LEDS with a built in reflector but have been unable to source them.....

Rich

PoorManDiving:

The LED lights produce almost no heat so I would think any available plastic reflector should work. Just cut it down to size. If you're using a MagLite for a light head then just use the reflector that comes with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom