Torpedo Ray encounter Folly Cove 8/22/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

salub2007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Although I have heard of the infamous Torpedo Ray, I never thought I would
have an encounter with one, hearing they are rare to see on Cape Ann.

My buddy Rich and I were diving with the MWDC on Sunday and lets just say
it was a shocking experience, no pun intended.

We set up for our first dive at Folly Cove planning to dive the right side wall, and all was going as planned when we were not reaching adequate depth after a good time into the dive. We both surfaced and decided to swim across the sandy bottom of the middle of Folly cove to the left side. After a good while of swimming seeing many flounder and assorted rays in the sand, we came across an area that had many small rays and I started taking a series of pictures...

Not a minute into seeing the cluster of rays I felt a pain in my leg like someone hitting me with a hammer. I immediately thought it was a cramp, but a second later i felt it again, this time I noticed it had a very electrical feel to it, like touching an electrical socket or an open wire. I thought to myself, oh dear, we are being struck by lightning, as it was an overcast day although no thunder clouds in sight.:idk:

As I finally turned around to view what was going on I received a third blast of electricity and saw a 4 foot torpedo ray wrapped up in my fins. I was frightened and kicked feverishly. The ray circled once then swam off, offering me no more shocks.
Knowing only of the myth of the Torpedo Ray, I went directly over to my buddy to see if he was okay. He looked at me funny so I know he was unaware of the encounter as i was behind him.

I grabbed his dive slate and wrote "I was zapped by a ray, Holy Crap!" He immediately said to surface with him, we were in 25' of water at the time. I explained to him the story at the surface, and he barely believed me, but thought it best that we rest, and that I calm down. For a minute my leg felt as though it was asleep, or I had been laying on it, but quickly felt fine after 5 minutes or so. We rested for 20 minutes or so, then we decided that we would be okay finishing the dive, and went straight back to shore.

I never saw the ray again, and neither did any of the other divers i asked that day at Folly Cove. I guess they are harmless, but it was a pretty good shock to be honest.

Question: Does this sort of thing happen often? What is the story with these Torpedo Rays? Are they aggressive? What type of charge do they put out I was told 220 volts? And info on this anyone can provide would be welcomed.

I recovered well from the encounter. I am a bit skiddish around bigger rays now. And I have a greater respect for the wonderful creatures in our ocean..

Safe Diving! :crafty:
Mark B
Salub

Glad you are OK.

Torpedo rays (California version) can be aggressive and certainly display a nonchalant attitude about divers. They don't spook easy. There was a very large ray near an area called Farnsworth Banks at Catalina who had given a fair number of divers a jolt. One so strong that the diver in question lost consciousness and his regulator. Of course, he tried to touch the thing which was plain stupid. This particular ray was about 4 foot across too, or larger. Your ray sounds like a biggie too.

Cheers,

X

woooooooooow... another reason I need to come back !!! ;o)
I did not o Seal dive and never saw Torpedo Rays other than pictures... I'm also glad you did not get hurt and recovered, this is really strange that she attacked you !

How was you buoyancy during the dive? Is it possible you may have kicked it or cam close to kicking it on accident. They can bury themselves fairly well in the sand too.

You said there were a lot of small rays. Were they skates or torpedo rays? Torpedo Rays have a shark-like tail. If the smaller ones were torpedo rays the big one could have been protecting its young or even recently born young since they give live birth.

I would have Sh** in my suit while screaming holy Sh**!!
I remembered one encounter with a Torpedo Ray at Lanes Cove. I was descending off the wall to the sand. The vis was very bad. I was still working buoyancy on dry suit, was over weighted and was approaching the sand so I put my hand down and the ground moved. I for sure yelled holy SH** as saw the Torpedo ray I just disturbed move away.

I think you must have unknowingly swam over it and pissed it off..

Nice!

I only ever saw them at Folly and Cat Rocks. One of the ones at Folly was HUGE! We almost descended right on top of it. :)

Speaking of the CA type. Happen to see a few this past Sun at Farnsworth. Slightly different shape and a bit smaller than the MA variety.

Just this past Friday, I too saw a 5ft torpedo ray at Lanes. Thing was HUGE. It scared me it was so big. We swam along the rock/sand line to the left. There he was, right below us. He wasn't covered in sand at all; he was beautiful. He let us hang out for a few minutes with him. My buddy got pretty close, even face-to-face, but I wasn't getting any closer than a few feet away. I had never seen one up close before and to see one that size? Awesome! I'm just not getting too close. As you discovered... they hurt.

Glad you are okay. They are pretty awesome creatures, but not something you want to mess with.

Nice!

Speaking of the CA type. Happen to see a few this past Sun at Farnsworth. Slightly different shape and a bit smaller than the MA variety.

Envy. Farnsworth is nice diving! All I've got this week is endless rain.

Cheers,

X

I never saw the ray again, and neither did any of the other divers i asked that day at Folly Cove. I guess they are harmless, but it was a pretty good shock to be honest.

Question: Does this sort of thing happen often? What is the story with these Torpedo Rays? Are they aggressive? What type of charge do they put out I was told 220 volts? And info on this anyone can provide would be welcomed.

I recovered well from the encounter. I am a bit skiddish around bigger rays now. And I have a greater respect for the wonderful creatures in our ocean.

Very interesting post! :)

On several occasions, I've found torpedo rays to be aggressive, but that was only after I annoyed them, such as by crowding them or nudging their wing to get pics.... :shakehead:

I've had them take flight slowly off the sand, turn back towards me and sweep upwards, as if to apply their underside's electrical organs to me, a bit disconcerting, but totally deserved.... :shocked2:

Here's an informative and apparently well-based article, Electrogenesis in Torpedo Rays:

Electrogenesis in Torpedo Rays

Although what I've done could be considered foolish (or at least disrespectful), I've always felt that the benefits of observing the animal in a more active state are worth it, especially since it would be very unlikely that the animal would manage to contact my head and cause a seizure....

I might re-think that risk.... :wink:

By the way, were you diving wet? I've often wondered if my drysuit provides some protection from such a shock. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Thanks for posting.

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom