torpedo ray in cape ann MA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdude74

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On thurday June 2nd my buddy and i decided to make the drive up to Cape Ann Mass for a few dives. After stopping by the local dive shop and getting some local knowledge of best place to dive for the current tides and winds we headed to Folly Cove for our first dive of the day
After about 15 minutes of diving at about 25 feet deep, out along the right wall of the cove we came across a sandy area with what we though was a large, about 3 feet across, flat rock, after stopping to look at it for a minute we realize this was no rock but some sort of marine life...after looking at its large round flat body and a short tail we moved on...only to find the same animal later on in the dive on the way back in
After getting out of the 45 degree water and back to the road side to load the gear into the truck to head to the next site... A local came up to my buddy and i to ask about our dive and after discussing our encounter with this odd creature he suggested it may be a torpedo ray...also known as an electric ray. He said he has never seen one but had heard of a few but rare encounters with them

So i am posting this to find out if this animal is normally in this area or if this was an odd sighting?
any info would be appreciated

I would assume it is normally in the area. Our shop in Nova Scotia is Torpedo Rays Scuba Adventures.

folly torpedo ray.jpg

Did it look like this? This picture was taken at Folly by a friend of mine. Torpedo rays are seen pretty frequently at Folly Cove. I'm not sure if it's a resident one, or multiple ones. I've also seen one at Cathedral Rocks. We don't always see them, but sightings are hardly rare. They are electric, so you don't want to poke them!

That's a nice swimming shot of the Torpedo Ray. I see them occasionally (1x per year) at Van Zandt Pier, Newport RI & Ft Wetherill, Jamestown, RI resting on the sand at fairly shallow depths. The disk is 3' across with the remaining distance approximately the same (a bit shorter). Fins on tail look prehistoric like those of a Nurse Shark. This ray usually remains situated in the sand looking for clams etc unless disturbed. Do not touch! This can deliver a shock. The actual voltage reported is somewhat varied, but is not something you want while underwater! Glad to hear Folly Cove still has good critters to see.

Yep, Folly Cove was one of my faves when I lived on the east coast. They are common at Folly.

thanks for the info everyone...it was definitely awesome to see this animal

Definitely in the area. I believe the last dive I did at Folly (two weeks ago). I also saw a Torpedo Ray.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom