Tourist dies in Key Largo 11-13-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...These heart attacks underwater have nothing to do with the operator or boat employees. Hate to see this stuff. People should be in decent physical shape to be diving although it usually isn't that strenuous unless you get into a stiff current. I was talking to the owner of the motel where I stay on Islamorada and she said that there is estimated to be about 30,000 people show up for Mini Lobster and that about six of them die every year. Mostly because they only dive once a year and are in bad physical condition...

I agree - most dive-related deaths (in the Keys, anyway) are the result of heart attacks or other "undiagnosed medical conditions." And the operator has little to do with it - except popular operators get more people, so its common for them to have more incidents. Lot of times, it's just a run of bad luck.
A survey of Florida lobster miniseason deaths (by medical professionals, but not a full-on scientific study) showed only about 30 percent of the examined miniseason dive deaths could be traced to embolisms. Most were heart attacks/medical conditions.

But your hotel operator was overstating the case. Never been six deaths in any miniseason in the Keys, let alone every season.

Florida Keys Keynoter newspaper story earlier this year:
...After three divers died in Monroe County waters during the 2005 mini-season, authorities called for increased caution. All three were out-of-county residents; the youngest was 49.
But the 2006 season was even deadlier, with four fatalities.
There were two lobster diving deaths in the Keys [in 2008] after one death in 2007...

The 2005-06 seasons were bad. I think '06 included a diver hit by a boat.
Two died in '09 miniseason, one was not involved in lobstering (as I recall).

But, yes, staying in decent dive shape can help us aging folks get back alive.

It's not just diving, people die of heart attacks on golf courses, tennis courts, jogging and in their beds. The dive population is aging, there will continue to be deaths because of heart attacks. A lot of times it comes down to quit diving or accept the risks. Some people quit, some accept the risks.

True, but unless you fall into the water hazard you're not going to drown! Help can be very close at those other places, not so at 100fsw.

True, but unless you fall into the water hazard you're not going to drown! Help can be very close at those other places, not so at 100fsw.

Quite a people few die on the spot, one minute they're fine, then they're dead.

I had a friend (58), who had a thorough physical, stress test two weeks before he died. His wife went to bed and left him watching TV, she found him halfway between the living room and the bedroom the next morning. You just have to live every day to the fullest. If diving is what you love, I say go ahead and do it.

Underwater, driving down the interstate, working on the gutters, flying a private plane or solo sailing are all bad places to have a heart attack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom