Tourist lost - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You wear pants with pockets in Cozumel? Coming from northern California I'd expect you diving in a shorty, but I do like my 1 mil jumpsuit to protect my extremities from floating stingers.
If it’s not a trilam drysuit, it’s a full body rash guard (easier than sunscreen) with Apeks tech shorts and a Sharkskin hooded vest (mostly to keep my hair contained). Like you say, also protects me from all manner of stings, scrapes, etc. Ends up being equivalent to a 3mm shorty.

Your Garmin arrangement sounds good. I hope you also carry it on hikes and driving thru dead cell zones. I never leave home without my PLB.
Indeed, I initially got this for hikes and such, and it’s been with me across the world (except the few countries you can get in serious trouble bringing a satellite messenger/phone to) before I even realized I could take it underwater. Definitely cheap insurance for outdoor sports, I recommend this sort of thing to all my outdoorsy friends.

Wow - you've really put some thought into this. I've observed those little 'dust devils' and thought they were incredibly interesting (and tried to get pics but they never really show up as they do in person) - but those may mean local down currents - that makes sense. I'd just never put two and two together. I knew there was something going on, and it was in strong current, but I hadn't thought about directionality or impact. Thanks.
Many years ago, on an older GoPro, I took a burst shot to try and capture one of those sand devils. Not great but the best I managed:

G0060127-ANIMATION.gif

I previously posted about a nasty downcurrent we experienced last February at Punta Tunich wall. I witnessed my wife, our friend, and two other women from our boat get caught in the down current and try to swim against it back to the top of the wall. They were not able to do so. I reached my wife and friend at 120' and still sinking, and commenced an emergency ascent, which took us to the surface in less than a minute. Luckily we were only 6 minutes into the first dive of the day. The other two women were carried out away from the wall and then were able to make an ascent. The DMs we spoke to after the incident all said they recommend swimming with the current instead of fighting against it, and surfacing in the blue water. This particular current wasn't very thick, if that is the right word, and once we were past the edge of the wall by 100 yards or so it seemed to dissipate quickly. We were lucky that everyone was OK. Unfortunately this incident didn't work out that way.
Okay, a bit confused (and going to Cozumel in February so a bit concerned)--if you see the "sand tornados" swim up? If caught in a down draft--swim out as if it were a rip current?

Clarification, pls.

I was diving with a group yesterday near Palancar Gardens and we kept to around 45' because of the current ripping. After everyone got back onboard, we drifted to a vortex in the water...never seen that before and I didn't realize that it was associated with a down current.

Okay, a bit confused (and going to Cozumel in February so a bit concerned)--if you see the "sand tornados" swim up? If caught in a down draft--swim out as if it were a rip current?
I'm hoping for a bit more on what to do when you see the 'sand tornadoes' (other than 'take pictures' as I have) - and what I think the consensus is, in regards to what to do if you find yourself in the down current, is to swim away from the wall. R (husband and dive buddy) says also to keep an eye on the soft coral on the wall, and if it is bending down avoid that area.

Again, this is all assuming that we notice something peculiar in time to remember what to do.

what to do when you see the 'sand tornadoes'
I never see those as I never look at the sand. Too focused on the reef and fishes. I left my pony on the boat for a shallow second reef dive once not appreciating that it was at the top of a wall, got blown off and down, and found myself below 100 quickly - thinking that I'd left a perfectly good pony that I had carried from Texas on the boat. :eek: I did a slow ascent away from the wall, stopped at 15 to deploy my DSMB and listen for a possibly approaching motor, and surfaced later. Got back in the boat and apologized to my pony.

We dove Santa Rosa wall for our first dive yesterday morning, and it was a calm, clear dive. Guess you never know if conditions might change quickly, or if a diver might have an individual issue. Hope we get some more details.
That's because there wasn't a down current

Clarification, pls.
I am no expert, but in our case the members of the group that were higher in the water column, 40 to 50' deep, were not sucked into the down current. Those who were first in the water and on the face of the wall were taken down the face of the wall. They were trying to swim up and against the current, but weren't nearly strong enough. When I decided to go after my wife and friend I swam down towards them, got pulled into the current, and was very rapidly going down along with them. WHen my computer started alarming I decided it was time for drastic measures and that is when I added air. It seemed to be a rather 'skinny' downcurrent as the others who were sucked into it were able to swim away from wall, eventually exiting the downfalling water column, and made a normal ascent.

If my wife and friend had turned away and swam out they would likely have been able to exit it as well. That only goes for this particular current. I have no doubt that there are times when the current may be stronger, wider, and even more treacherous. I only know what I saw, and what the divemasters told us. They said in Cozumel they believe the smartest course of action when you find yourself in a current you can't overcome, is to turn to go with the current, and ascend as you ride it out. It makes sense to me, but you could end up very far from your group when all is said and done.

The water in a down current doesn't disappear down a giant plughole in the seabed. Learn about down currents. It's part of scuba diving in the ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom