Tow line for dive flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just use a reel.

yak once bubbled...
Was wondering what y'all use to tow your flag.

Usually a buddy. :D

Marc

yak once bubbled...
Wendy,

What size line do you use on it?

I think its 24 line, but I'm not completely sure.

I use a Reef Scuba saftey reel with 150 ft of line. But you really need to be careful as you need to know how to run a reel and how to clear a jammed reel underwater. You also have to be very careful not to get slack in the line or you will find the stuff gravitating to you tank valve and fin buckles. 1/8, #24, #36 or #48 braided nylon line is very flexible and will tie you in knots very quickly if you get careless with it.

If you are new to dragging a flag or just a new diver I would just opt for one of the plastic hand thingies that you wrap 1/4 poly rope around. Most of the slack will then float over you and the rope is thicker, less flexible and less likely to snag on anything.

Also if you use a wreck reel or saftey reel, use a float with enough floatation to allow you to keep the line taunt. There are some dive floats that use a regular car sized inner tube but they are a little large in wind, waves or current. We have a guy locally who sews a variant of that using a 12 lawn tractor/trailer inner tube. Works great, offers enough support to hang off of and is still well mannered in wind waves and current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom