Towing a flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chaney

Reaction score
:huh: Being someone who has never done anything but boat diving. I am going to Florida in August. I have read about towing a flag and was wandering what equipment and how does a person go about doing this? Is it as simple as hooking a rope to yourself and a floating flag? :iwagima:

Standard diver down flag on a float with a weight to keep it upright. Most use a pastic spool to carry the rope... I use one of those cheapo plastic "cave" reels... hey they have to be good for something!

Hooking it to you can get dicey... better to hold it in your hand in case it becomes fouled in a propeller or Ski-doo! It is far easier to let go, than to try and unclip!

they usually supply the float and the spool.

Ha Ha!
Glad you have a sense of humor about it. Here's the rap: You get a "float" at a dive shop (or you can make one if u r handy.) This often consists of a simple tire innertube with a bright-colored zippered nylon cover on it. The cover has a hole to put the flag pole in. You wil also need an anchor, a heavy object on the end of a long rope - at least 50' - and some kind of a reel (can be quite simple). Then, of course, there is the flag; must be waterproof & have a wire to keep it stiffly standing out even in wind.

You enter from the shore with the flag & anchor (and I add a 2lb weight in case somebody's light, & a bottle of fresh water cause there ain't nothin' out there to drink!) I wear only my skin-diving gear at this point. You tow it by one of the handles on the cover thru the surf. Kick out towing it with one hand while you approach your site. Open the zipper at the site & pull out the reel for the line with the anchor. Have your rope marked in 10' increments so you know how deep the water is where you are descending. Drop the anchor & unreel the line until the anchor hits the bottom. It should catch in the sand. The line should have a bit of slack in it to accomodate the waves, but not so much tht the float is at a 45 degree angle from the anchor.

Now you swim back to shore, put on your diving gear & go to the site with your buddy. Do the same to retrieve the float after your gear is removed post-dive. It is easier to maneuver with a flaot thru the surf without a tank on. Tell us how it goes, Chaney!

Oh yeah, I forgotted the part about hooking the reel to the d-ring on the bottom of the float. Otherwise the anchor wil sit at the bottom but the float will drift to Mexico. That is a silly oversight!

I'll go out this week and try some of these in the lake. Thanks for your input and time.

You may wish to attach the reel to the anchor and not the float. A friend of mine lost his reel and flag this way once. A passing boat motered up to the flag, cut the line and walked off with the reel.

Where are you planning on diving in Florida?

A passing boat motered up to the flag, cut the line and walked off with the reel.
That's just wrong on sooo many levels . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom