Townsville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad to see this thread. My wife is gown to Townsville in June/July for a week or so for a school (Master's program) trip, and I'm looking for options to tag along and dive. It's looking more and more like killing much of the week in Cairns might be the better choice for me.

Come across this post when I'm looking for some information about diving in Cairns.
Few people are local and even students from JCU.
Since I have also been stayed here for three years, try to clarify and help out some info too.

For diving in Yongala,
If you don't have a car, its easier to departure from Townsville than take the bus (or whatever public transportation) down to ayr.

For picking a dive shop.
Can not see if there is a lot of different between them, but from my own and friend experience.
Adrenaline: well-equipped and experienced staff, but the boss/manager is a 100% businessman, hear some rip-off thing happened to my friend.
Salt water: pretty enthusiastic skipper and boss/dive guide, love to know and talk about the marine environment and animals. Cons: the boat is pretty small and ill-equipped.

For JCU dive club (I am not member or anything relative)
I still feel they are cheaper than the shop, only thing is you need to pay the registration fee to be a member.(still cheaper than normal inc. registration fee).
They did not have their own boat, they cooperate with a boat owner/skipper name David. its a pretty sweet charter.
What surprise me is even its a student club, it works like a business. They will ask you to pay over pricy parts of diving gear.
I end up got some from internet is far cheaper than they asked.

JCU(school) do have their own boat under faculty of Marine Biology and Environmental science.
They are 7 meter long, southwind.
Associated research center like Orpheus island and Lizard island equip few dingy and southwind.
Its a great experience to operate the boat for research.

And for the qualified, you need to be a rescue diver + scientific specialty to volunteer others's field trip.
Its easier if you can upgrade to divemaster, it will save some troubles.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom