Tracking your buddy in low vis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anytime you change direction/ascend/descend on the dive it is especially important to check on your buddy. Just cruising along in a straight line at the same depth, it's pretty easy to keep track of him/her, but when one veers of a few meters to look at something, and the other one doesn't notice, that's where they may lose track of each other.

Another thing, if you pay attention, you can generally HEAR the other diver's breathing when he's nearby. Direction is a problem due to the increased speed of sound underwater, but when I'm not actually LOOKING at one of my divers, I'll sometimes listen just to know they're nearby.

Finally, while you don't want to get separated from your buddy, don't make an "inconvenience" into a disaster. As long as you remember the most important direction...."up"....you can always ascend & regroup. I've seen cases where a "lost" diver basically panics & swims as fast as he can in random directions, trying to locate his buddy, forgetting about air, depth, etc. The ocean's a big place so that's not the best method to take!

Another suggestion if you you are diving in an area with a wall, slope or some other type of vertical relief is to plan the dive for a certain depth. Then if you are separated you know where your buddy should be based on the depth and it reduces a two dimensional search problem to basically a one dimensional problem.

danelen:
Here's a newbie question. What are some tips/tricks for how to keep together in 5-6ft vis without diving on top of one another?

This past weekend me and my brother did some diving in such conditions and I found that, unless I was practically in contact with him, if I looked away for a moment it was sometime hard to find him again. I like to stay close together but I also find that being too close together can be a pain too.

This was my first low vis dive since I got certified but of course my instructor was right with me the whole time that time. I find the low vis diving to be kind of eary but this location is about 5 minutes from my house, set up well for diving and is a great place to work on my skills so I figure I will get used to the low vis if I take it slow and keep diving there.

Dan
6' buddy line does the trick. A line with two loops in it. One on each end. NAUI basic course video teaches that method.

If I'm diving in bad visibility with my wife - we hold hands.

5-6ft is more than enough vis for a good dive.

One thing that helps buddy planning in those sort of conditions (assuming diving as a pair) is to agree a leader for the dive. This person will be the one navigating and choosing where to go and the other person follows them maintaining a fixed position to them (usually left or right). Its a lot more effective than 2 people jumping in and swimming around randomly trying to keep visual contact.

Using this method you dont need to pre-agree compass headings or anything which is handy for a site never dived before and so on.

I personally hate buddy lines even for sub 6 inch visibility preferring instead to hold a piece of kit if needed - its a lot less likely to snag on kelp or an unseen rock.

Someone mentioned looking for light and dark "patches" of water, one thing that i have learned from experience is that this can lead to a wild goose chase because your mind will "see" Patches of dark and light water that don't exist this happens alot while night diving as well as diving in low vis situations.

Just my .02

John

I always dive just back and to the right of my buddy. That way we know in any situation where each other is at. When we have our own tanks with, they are bright yellow....and that helps a bit. Sometimes at the quarry we dive at it is no vis....especially after classes have been there.

Having confidence in your buddy helps...and i know he watches for me as I watch for him.

Something I didn't see anybody mention ... slow down. The worse the vis, the more important it is to reduce your normal "cruising" speed. If you're going slow, it's tougher to lose each other ... and even should you temporarily lose sight of your buddy, your chances of finding each other are significantly increased because you won't have moved very far.

Should you lose each other, go up 4 or 5 feet and look for bubbles. Air bubbles are typically much more visible in low-vis conditions than another diver.

Buddy lines ... on those rare occasions when I decide to use one, it's fashioned out of about 6-feet of 3/8" bungee. You put a loop in either end that you slip across your palm (do not put it on your wrist or clip it in, in case you need to release it). The bungee gives you a degree of freedom due to the stretch ... and you can feel the gentle tug as you and your buddy start drifting off in different directions. It's much easier to use than rope ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom