@Trailboss123 finally meets @Scubadada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trailboss123

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I figured I would post this in the Florida forum, since that is where we met and got to dive together.
I have been a follower of @scubadada for a number of years here on Scubaboard. His insights on so many subjects and topics that resonate with me and always have me checking out what he has to say and opine on.

We have dived in many of the same places, but never at the same time and I have hoped for some time now that our paths would cross and finally they did. I had a business trip to Florida and decided to come in a few days early in hopes of getting some diving in, prior to my meetings. Stars aligned and Craig was also visiting his 2nd home in the Boynton Beach area and we were able to get out 2 days ago for a couple of dives out of Riviera Beach with the dive operator "Wetter the Better"-- we were originally scheduled to go out with Narcosis, but they were having some issues with their boat, so they coordinated to make sure we could still get out with another operator. Weather was another factor this weekend that we had to deal with and work around.

Anyway-- in terms of the diving- we had 2 very enjoyable dives Friday where we got to see a couple of Bull Sharks, a couple of Goliath Groupers, a very large Nurse Shark and lots of the other usual suspects found in these parts, including a good sized green moray. There was also 1 Lemon Shark spotted by another diver in our group, but I didn't get to see it myself-- but I did see his photo of it.

For those interested, water temps were 72-74. I think most of us were wishing we had worn additional thermal protection. I know I did after coming off of 2 weeks of diving in Bonaire just a week ago.
Visibility was quite good on both dives and rivaled the viz in Bonaire.

In closing, I have to say that It is always a good thing when you get to meet someone in real life, that you have only known virtually and they meet your expectations. It is a great thing when they actually exceed your expectations, and that was my experience with @scubadada and I look forward to future dives together.

Hi @Trailboss123

You are too kind, the pleasure was all mine. It was nice going from SB friend to dive friend. I'm also looking forward to future opportunities to dive together around your business trips to Florida.

When you read Trailboss's post, you get the impression that it was a pretty uncomplicated dive in SE FL. Well, it is winter. We were scheduled to do the 3 tanker with JDC on Friday with a dive on Lemon Drop, but sea conditions got in the way. Narcosis, in West Palm, is my usual back up for high, but doable seas. Narcosis was having some engine trouble but were nice enough to schedule us to go out with Walker's Dive Charters. I had not been out with them before, a really great operator with good crew, I intended on using them again (see below). We did Governor's Riverwalk and South Double Ledge Water temp was low 70s, wind on the surface was biting cold. My boat coat saved me on the SI, my 5 mm and hooded vest were not enough to keep me warm until the end of both dives.

We were scheduled to dive with Loggerhead out of Boynton on Saturday morning but a dive boat issue came up and we were not able to go out. Trailboss had an engagement with another friend in the early afternoon and had to leave. Luckily, I got out with Starfish and had 2 good dives on Boynton Reef. Did a dive starting at Sharkie's outside and ending inside at Briney Breezes. Second dive was on the north inside on Castle Ledge. Water was again in the low 70s, I switched to my 7 mm with the hooded vest and was toasty. Boat coat proved its value again.

As I only had one more day to dive and the forecast was for big seas, I went out of West Palm with Walker's again today. We did South Doubles again, followed by North Double Ledge as the second dive. Water temp remained in the low 70s, visibility was quite good, 60+ feet. I was warm again in my thicker wetsuit. Seas were up, I would guess 4-6, some bigger. There were some pretty good swells into the inlet. Reboarding was not as difficult as I might have expected. It was windy and cold at the SI, fortunately, we did much of it in the marina.

So, despite some winter weather and conditions, I had a very good 4 day weekend. I got to dive 3 of the 4 days and only missed Thursday. I was looking forward to the JDC Sawfish exploration dive on that day. I have a new good operator out of West Palm. Best of all, I have a new scuba friend and am looking forward to future adventures.

Very best and good diving,

Craig

Hi @Trailboss123

You are too kind, the pleasure was all mine. It was nice going from SB friend to dive friend. I'm also looking forward to future opportunities to dive together around your business trips to Florida.

When you read Trailboss's post, you get the impression that it was a pretty uncomplicated dive in SE FL. Well, it is winter. We were scheduled to do the 3 tanker with JDC on Friday with a dive on Lemon Drop, but sea conditions got in the way. Narcosis, in West Palm, is my usual back up for high, but doable seas. Narcosis was having some engine trouble but were nice enough to schedule us to go out with Walker's Dive Charters. I had not been out with them before, a really great operator with good crew, I intended on using them again (see below). We did Governor's Riverwalk and South Double Ledge Water temp was low 70s, wind on the surface was biting cold. My boat coat saved my on the SI, my 5 mm and hooded vest were not enough to keep me warm and the end of both dives.

We were scheduled to dive with Loggerhead out of Boynton on Saturday morning but a dive boat issue came up and we were not able to go out. Trailboss had an engagement with another friend in the early afternoon and had to leave. Luckily, I got out with Starfish and had 2 good dives on Boynton Reef. Did a dive starting at Sharkie's outside and ending inside at Briney Breezes. Second dive was on the north inside on Castle Ledge. Water was again in the low 70s, I switched to my 7 mm with the hooded vest and was toasty. Boat coat proved its value again.

As I only had one more day to dive and the forecast was for big seas, I went out of West Palm with Walker's again today. We did South Doubles again, followed by North Double Ledge as the second dive. Water temp remained in the low 70s, visibility was quite good, 60+ feet. I was warm again in my thicker wetsuit. Seas were up, I would guess 4-6, some bigger. There were some pretty good swells into the inlet. Reboarding was not as difficult as I might have expected. It was windy and cold at the SI, fortunately, we did much of it in the marina.

So, despite some winter weather and conditions, I had a very good 4 day weekend. I got to dive 3 of the 4 days and only missed Thursday. I was looking forward to the JDC Sawfish exploration dive on that day. I have a new good operator out of West Palm. Best of all, I have a new scuba friend and am looking forward to future adventures.

Very best and good diving,

Craig
I was counting on you to fill in all of the blanks and details-- thanks for doing so!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom