Trainers are invaluable!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen Ash:
So... now I've started boxing. That's FUN. But, man, it's a killer workout... worse than Leg Day!
Stephen... congrats on the progress (and the boxing upgrade).

Now, if you want to ratchet it up just a bit, try Krav Maga. It's a practical approach to self-defense with an emphasis on cardio. It combines the most effective techniques from boxing, Muay Thai, Brazilian ju-jitsu, and formalized 'street fighting.'

I have a martial arts background (and spent *many* years in wrestling, gymnastics, track, soccer, etc.), and haven't found a workout to match the aerobic intensity and functional/practical benefits of Krav (and it does wonders for your SAC). It has an interesting history and is a relative newcomer to the U.S.

Take a look... it's worth a peek... www.kravmaga.com

Today is the last day before leaving for Tulum.

The past week has incorporated an interesting twist. My trainer decided that I needed to add my dive rig to the workout. So... I have been hiking my backplate (with about 40 pounds on it) up to the top of North Mountain. Shorts and T-shirt... no padding. I was gonna try humping my doubles up there... but I just couldn't find the courage! I mean... I have seen some strange folks on that trail... but I would probably set the bar climbing with my cylinders!

Stephen Ash:
My trainer decided that I needed to add my dive rig to the workout. So... I have been hiking my backplate (with about 40 pounds on it) up to the top of North Mountain. Shorts and T-shirt... no padding.

That's asking to get spinal & joint injuries. Your trainer's ripping you off, dude!

Some real backpacking & Yoga/Tai Chi will help you MUCH more. As for boxing, don't even try it unless you have a qualified professional/olympic boxing coach. Even then, the risk of rotator cuff injury due to heavy bag workouts is very high--even with a water filled heavy bag and proper hand wrapping. It's not worth it, especially at your age.

Most of martial arts training is unrelated to diving, unless you want to become a Navy SEAL.

especially at your age.

ouch, I hate it when that happens. (I get it too)

Me, I love being on a hike and having a mountain biker pedal up hill past me...on a 20% grade.

Psychicanimal:
That's asking to get spinal & joint injuries. Your trainer's ripping you off, dude!

Hmm... I feel better than I've felt in 15 years. Guess I better dump her. :14:

Actually, she suggested backpacking. I substituted my backplate for the backpack. And the boxing... I love it! Can't stop.

Psychicanimal:

Some real backpacking & Yoga/Tai Chi will help you MUCH more. As for boxing, don't even try it unless you have a qualified professional/olympic boxing coach. Even then, the risk of rotator cuff injury due to heavy bag workouts is very high--even with a water filled heavy bag and proper hand wrapping. It's not worth it, especially at your age.

Most of martial arts training is unrelated to diving, unless you want to become a Navy SEAL.

Ahemmmmm....

I'm 52, and I hit both fill heavy bags and hydrocores, daily -- I've been slamming the standard fill for years. As long as you have a few initial pointers on how to throw the basic straight punches, jabs, hooks, *and* kicks, if you're so inclined, you do *not* need Evander Holyfield looking over your shoulder to keep you from getting a boo-boo...

Hand wraps have absolutely nothing to do with rotater cuff injuries -- they support your wrists, and protect your knuckles, to some small degree, if you're not using gloves in conjunction. My mother-in-law had both shoulders operated on for rotater cuff injuries, and the closest she's ever come to a hook was on the golf course.

Like anything else, there's the right way, and the wrong way. Without any guidance you can tear yourself up with an innocent stretching exercise. You can always live in a bubble, never push yourself beyond shuffleboard, and stay blissfully injury free. Of course, if that's your mindset, you have no business diving...

No one said the benefits of martial arts, or boxing workouts, were directly related to diving. However, I challenge you to find a workout that is as cardio-intense as boxing, and cardio improvement ultimately benefits your SAC rate (as well as many other activities -- including generally staying alive longer, both above and below the surface)...

I have no doubt Yoga and Tai Chi do wonders for flexibility, joint lubrication, tendon health, balance, and stress reduction. Qigong, along the same lines, also supplements physical health. Any of these can, and probably should, be practiced *in conjunction* with cardio. However, for cardio, which benefits heart and lung function like nothing else, movements no faster than grass growing that work to lower, as oppose to raise, cardio activity, just don't cut it by themselves...

Stephen Ash:
Hmm... I feel better than I've felt in 15 years. Guess I better dump her. :14:

Actually, she suggested backpacking. I substituted my backplate for the backpack. And the boxing... I love it! Can't stop.

Well, you feel better 'now', but years later?

I suggest this great reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Boxers-Workout-Peter-Depasquale/dp/0962705004/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-4368033-8414531?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175721176&sr=8-1

BKP:
Ahemmmmm....

I'm 52, and I hit both fill heavy bags and hydrocores, daily -- I've been slamming the standard fill for years. As long as you have a few initial pointers on how to throw the basic straight punches, jabs, hooks, *and* kicks, if you're so inclined, you do *not* need Evander Holyfield looking over your shoulder to keep you from getting a boo-boo...

At age 52 you should mainly snap the bag, that's what I learned. I regret giving so much emphasis to martial arts and leaving the diving behind. I did have someone world class looking over me for a while (Wilfredo Rivera, who fought w/ Whitaker & De La Hoya) but injuries happen. My chiropractor told me boxing training will lead to busted rotator cuffs--I'm just another victim. Good luck with your regime.

Isn't cross country skiing training the ultimate heart workout?

Psychicanimal:
At age 52 you should mainly snap the bag, that's what I learned. I regret giving so much emphasis to martial arts and leaving the diving behind. I did have someone world class looking over me for a while (Wilfredo Rivera, who fought w/ Whitaker & De La Hoya) but injuries happen. My chiropractor told me boxing training will lead to busted rotator cuffs--I'm just another victim. Good luck with your regime.

Isn't cross country skiing training the ultimate heart workout?
I'm fortunate enough to have a world-class trainer myself - Marshell Davis, out of KBX gym (resume too lengthy to list here: http://www.kbxgym.com/our_instructors.phtml)

Of the many individuals he works with, whether boxing, Krav, Muay Thai, conditioning, etc., I know of none with rotator cuff injuries. Although, as in most intensity disciplines, injuries are always a possibility.

Like you, had I been able to do it over again, I'd have switched the starting times for diving and martial arts.

As for cross country skiing, I have two main bits of exercise equipment in my basement: a heavy bag (actually, 2), and a NordicTrack Skier (the higher end/high tech model which was dropped when NordicTrack was bought by ICON in the '90's).

Coming up on month 5. Still at it. Long cave dives sure jacked my metabolic rate. I ate like a horse down there and still lost about 8 pounds. I was afraid that it was muscle but now that I'm back in the gym that doesn't seem to be the case... stronger than ever. My waist is down to a 32 and I don't have any pants that fit!

Finally Shawna has me in a "program". Up till now we been all over the place getting a feel for what works best. Diet is staying the same for now but I've added creatine to my supplement regimen.

I have to crank up the running, climbing and biking... I am scheduled to get my V02 Max tested. Oh... and I'm also gonna get in the chamber and have my lean body mass and percent body fat measured... I'm done with the calipers! I think that I'm still at 12% but we'll see.

Bummer! I'm losing my trainer... she moving. :shakehead:

Almost a full year and I have managed to stay true to my new lifestyle. Improvements have been slow... much slower than the first few months. But now I have secret weapon so I'm hoping that the gains will come quicker.

I am a bit worried that losing my Shawna will make this harder. OTOH, I'm a little excited to start trying some stuff on my own. The strength training has been pretty easy... well not really... but it has been nice having a pro direct my workouts. Well... we'll see how it goes. Hope I can put together a good program. At least I have developed good form with the weight lifting and have a huge number of different exercises and techniques.

Damn rotator cuff... that has put a krinkle in my program. But it seems to be better lately. Too leery of surgery....

Diet has become a way of life. That was probably the hardest part... eating healthy and feeding the machine good fuel on a timely basis.

And now that it has cooled off a bit I can take my CV program back out to the desert.

Too bad I didn't start this when I was 30.

Anyways... kudos to you trainers out there! I think your expertise should be valued far more than it is. Teaching us how to get and stay fit is such a valuable thing.

Anyone want to go for a swim?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom